HIV and AIDS Treatments and Medications (cont.)
In this Article
- Entry Inhibitors (including Fusion Inhibitors) and CCR5 Co-receptor Antagonist
- HIV Integrase Strand Transfer Inhibitors
- Multi-Class Combination Drugs
- Non-Nucleoside Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors (NNRTIs)
- Nucleoside/Nucleotide Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors (NRTIs)
- Protease Inhibitors (PIs)
Nonnucleoside Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors (NNRTIs)
Like NRTIs, NNRTIs block the reverse transcriptase enzyme preventing uninfected cells from becoming infected.
NNRTIs include NVP, DLV, EFV and the recently approved etravirine (Intelence, ETR). ETR was developed specifically to be an option for patients that have developed resistance to the earlier drugs in the class. NVP, DLV, and EFV are typically used with two NRTIs, and ETR is primarily being used as part of regimens for those with a history of different types of treatment to which they have developed resistance.
|Brand Name||Generic Names||Manufacturer|
|Sustiva||efavirenz, EFV||Bristol Myers-Squibb|
|Viramune||nevirapine, NVP||Boehringer Ingelheim|
Get breaking medical news.