Hot Flashes (cont.)
Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD, is a U.S. board-certified Anatomic Pathologist with subspecialty training in the fields of Experimental and Molecular Pathology. Dr. Stöppler's educational background includes a BA with Highest Distinction from the University of Virginia and an MD from the University of North Carolina. She completed residency training in Anatomic Pathology at Georgetown University followed by subspecialty fellowship training in molecular diagnostics and experimental pathology.
William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Dr. Shiel received a Bachelor of Science degree with honors from the University of Notre Dame. There he was involved in research in radiation biology and received the Huisking Scholarship. After graduating from St. Louis University School of Medicine, he completed his Internal Medicine residency and Rheumatology fellowship at the University of California, Irvine. He is board-certified in Internal Medicine and Rheumatology.
In this Article
- What are hot flashes?
- What causes hot flashes?
- What are the symptoms of hot flashes?
- How are hot flashes diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for hot flashes?
- Hormone therapy
- Bioidentical hormone therapy
- Other drug treatments
- Complementary and alternative treatments
- Black cohosh
- Other alternative therapies
- Can hot flashes be prevented?
- Hot Flashes At A Glance
- Find a local Endocrinologist in your town
Hot Flashes At A Glance
- Hot flashes are feelings or warmth that spread over the body and last from
30 seconds to a few minutes.
- Hot flashes are a characteristic symptom of the menopausal transition in
women but may occasionally result from other medical conditions.
- About 75% of women will experience hot flashes at some point in the
- Hot flashes may be treated by hormone therapy or other medications if
- Some alternative treatments for hot flashes have been proposed and may
provide relief for some women; the effectiveness of other alternative treatments
has not been adequately scientifically evaluated.
Additional resources from WebMD Boots UK on Hot Flushes
Last Editorial Review: 3/11/2009
Viewers share their comments
- Submit »
- Submit »
Find out what women really need.