"Sometimes the juice ain't worth the squeeze... especially when combining grapefruit with medicines.
While it can be part of a balanced and nutritious diet, grapefruit can have serious consequences when taken with certain medications. Cu"...
Instructions For Insulin Vial Use
NEVER SHARE NEEDLES AND SYRINGES.
Correct Syringe Type
Doses of insulin are measured in units. U-100 insulin contains 100 units/mL (1 mL=1 cc). With Humulin 70/30, it is important to use a syringe that is marked for U-100 insulin preparations. Failure to use the proper syringe can lead to a mistake in dosage, causing serious problems for you, such as a blood glucose level that is too low or too high.
To help avoid contamination and possible infection, follow these instructions exactly.
Disposable syringes and needles should be used only once and then discarded by placing the used needle in a puncture-resistant disposable container. Properly dispose of the punctureresistant container as directed by your Health Care Professional.
Preparing the Dose
- Wash your hands.
- Carefully shake or rotate the bottle of insulin several times to completely mix the insulin.
- Inspect the insulin. Humulin 70/30 suspension should look uniformly cloudy or milky. Do not use Humulin 70/30 if you notice anything unusual in its appearance.
- If using a new Humulin 70/30 bottle, flip off the plastic protective cap, but do not remove the stopper. Wipe the top of the bottle with an alcohol swab.
- Draw an amount of air into the syringe that is equal to the Humulin 70/30 dose. Put the needle through rubber top of the Humulin 70/30 bottle and inject the air into the bottle.
- Turn the Humulin 70/30 bottle and syringe upside down. Hold the bottle and syringe firmly in one hand and shake gently.
- Making sure the tip of the needle is in the Humulin 70/30 suspension, withdraw the correct dose of Humulin 70/30 into the syringe.
- Before removing the needle from the Humulin 70/30 bottle, check the syringe for air bubbles. If bubbles are present, hold the syringe straight up and tap its side until the bubbles float to the top. Push the bubbles out with the plunger and then withdraw the correct dose.
- Remove the needle from the bottle and lay the syringe down so that the needle does not touch anything.
- To avoid tissue damage, choose a site for each injection that is at least ½ inch from the previous injection site. The usual sites of injection are abdomen, thighs, and arms.
- Cleanse the skin with alcohol where the injection is to be made.
- With one hand, stabilize the skin by spreading it or pinching up a large area.
- Insert the needle as instructed by your doctor.
- Push the plunger in as far as it will go.
- Pull the needle out and apply gentle pressure over the injection site for several seconds. Do not rub the area.
- Place the used needle in a puncture-resistant disposable container and properly dispose of the puncture-resistant container as directed by your Health Care Professional.
Last reviewed on RxList: 7/6/2010
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Humulin 70-30 Information
Humulin 70-30 - User Reviews
Humulin 70-30 User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.