"Feb. 11, 2013 -- If you're searching for a new car, a new house, or a new TV, you'll likely compare prices. If you're in the market for a new hip, though, that might not be easy, according to a study published online in JAMA Internal Medicine."...
Hyalgan Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Euflexxa, Hyalgan, Supartz
Generic Name: sodium hyaluronate (injection) (Pronunciation: SO dee um HYE al yoo RON ate)
- What is sodium hyaluronate (Hyalgan)?
- What are the possible side effects of sodium hyaluronate (Hyalgan)?
- What is the most important information I should know about sodium hyaluronate (Hyalgan)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before receiving sodium hyaluronate (Hyalgan)?
- How is sodium hyaluronate given (Hyalgan)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Hyalgan)?
- What happens if I overdose (Hyalgan)?
- What should I avoid after receiving sodium hyaluronate (Hyalgan)?
- What other drugs will affect sodium hyaluronate (Hyalgan)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is sodium hyaluronate (Hyalgan)?
Sodium hyaluronate is similar to the fluid that surrounds the joints in your body. This fluid acts as a lubricant and shock absorber for the joints.
Sodium hyaluronate is used to treat knee pain caused by osteoarthritis.
Sodium hyaluronate is usually given after other arthritis medications have been tried without successful treatment of symptoms.
Sodium hyaluronate may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of sodium hyaluronate (Hyalgan)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- severe pain or swelling around the knee after the injection;
- fast heart rate, sweating, chills or shaking; or
- heavy feeling, anxiety, confusion.
Less serious side effects may include:
- warmth, pain, stiffness, swelling, or puffiness where the medicine was injected;
- nausea, stomach pain;
- back pain;
- numbness or tingly feeling;
- cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat;
- tired feeling; or
- itching or skin irritation around the knee.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Hyalgan (hyaluronate) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about sodium hyaluronate (Hyalgan)?
You should not receive sodium hyaluronate if you are allergic to it, or if you have an infection in your knee or in the skin around your knee.
Before you receive a sodium hyaluronate injection, tell your doctor if you have blood clots or circulation problems in your legs, or an allergy to birds, feathers, or egg products.
For at least 48 hours after your injection, avoid jogging, strenuous activity, high-impact sports, or standing for longer than 1 hour at a time.
Call your doctor at once if you have severe pain or swelling around the knee after the injection.
Additional Hyalgan Information
Hyalgan - User Reviews
Hyalgan User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options