"Tobacco control efforts are having a major impact on Americans' health, a new analysis of lung-cancer data suggests. The rate of new lung cancer cases decreased among men and women in the United States from 2005 to 2009, according to a re"...
- Patient Information:
Details with Side Effects
BONE MARROW SUPPRESSION
HYCAMTIN should be administered only to patients with baseline neutrophil counts of ≥ 1,500 cells/mm³ and a platelet count ≥ 100,000 cells/mm³. In order to assess the occurrence of bone marrow suppression, blood cell counts should be monitored.
Topotecan hydrochloride is a semi-synthetic derivative of camptothecin and is an anti-tumor drug with topoisomerase I-inhibitory activity.
The chemical name for topotecan hydrochloride is (S)-10-[(dimethylamino)methyl]-4ethyl-4,9-dihydroxy-1H-pyrano[3',4':6,7] indolizino [1,2-b]quinoline-3,14-(4H,12H)-dione monohydrochloride. It has the molecular formula C23H23N3O5•HCl and a molecular weight of 457.9. It is soluble in water and melts with decomposition at 213° to 218°C
Topotecan hydrochloride has the following structural formula:
HYCAMTIN capsules contain topotecan hydrochloride, the content of which is expressed as topotecan free base. The major excipients are hydrogenated vegetable oil, glyceryl monostearate, gelatin, and titanium dioxide. The capsules are imprinted with edible black ink. The 1 mg capsules also contain red iron oxide.
What are the possible side effects of topotecan (Hycamtin)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- wheezing, feeling short of breath, chest pain, dry cough;
- fever, chills, flu symptoms, mouth and throat ulcers, rapid and shallow breathing, fainting;
- pale skin, feeling light-headed, rapid heart rate, trouble concentrating;
- easy bruising, unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum), purple or red pinpoint spots...
Last reviewed on RxList: 7/26/2010
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Hycamtin Capsules Information
- Hycamtin Capsules Drug Interactions Center: topotecan oral
- Hycamtin Capsules Side Effects Center
- Hycamtin Capsules in detail including Side Effects and Drug Images
- Hycamtin Capsules FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.