"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Iressa (gefitinib) for the first-line treatment of patients with metastatic non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) whose tumors harbor specific types of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) gene"...
BONE MARROW SUPPRESSION
HYCAMTIN can cause severe myelosuppression. Administer only to patients with neutrophil counts of ≥ 1,500 cells/mm³ and platelet counts ≥ 100,000 cells/mm³. Monitor blood cell counts.
Topotecan hydrochloride is a semi-synthetic derivative of camptothecin and is an anti-tumor drug with topoisomerase I-inhibitory activity.
The chemical name for topotecan hydrochloride is (S)-10-[(dimethylamino)methyl]-4-ethyl-4,9- dihydroxy-1#-pyrano[3',4': 6,7] indolizino [1,2-6]quinoline-3,14-(4#,12#)-dione monohydrochloride. It has the molecular formula C23H23N3O5•HCl and a molecular weight of 457.9. It is soluble in water and melts with decomposition at 213° to 218°C.
Topotecan hydrochloride has the following structural formula:
HYCAMTIN capsules for oral use contain topotecan hydrochloride, the content of which is expressed as topotecan free base. The excipients are gelatin, glyceryl monostearate, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and titanium dioxide. The capsules are imprinted with edible black ink. The 1-mg capsules also contain red iron oxide.
What are the possible side effects of topotecan (Hycamtin)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- wheezing, feeling short of breath, chest pain, dry cough;
- fever, chills, flu symptoms, mouth and throat ulcers, rapid and shallow breathing, fainting;
- pale skin, feeling light-headed, rapid heart rate, trouble concentrating;
- easy bruising, unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum), purple or red pinpoint spots...
Last reviewed on RxList: 7/7/2014
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Hycamtin Capsules Information
- Hycamtin Capsules Drug Interactions Center: topotecan oral
- Hycamtin Capsules Side Effects Center
- Hycamtin Capsules in detail including Side Effects and Drug Images
- Hycamtin Capsules FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.