"Tobacco control efforts are having a major impact on Americans' health, a new analysis of lung-cancer data suggests. The rate of new lung cancer cases decreased among men and women in the United States from 2005 to 2009, according to a re"...
- Clinician Information:
Hycamtin Capsules Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Hycamtin
Generic Name: topotecan (Pronunciation: TOE poe TEE kan)
- What is topotecan (Hycamtin Capsules)?
- What are the possible side effects of topotecan (Hycamtin Capsules)?
- What is the most important information I should know about topotecan (Hycamtin Capsules)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using topotecan (Hycamtin Capsules)?
- How should I use topotecan (Hycamtin Capsules)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Hycamtin Capsules)?
- What happens if I overdose (Hycamtin Capsules)?
- What should I avoid while using topotecan (Hycamtin Capsules)?
- What other drugs will affect topotecan (Hycamtin Capsules)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is topotecan (Hycamtin Capsules)?
Topotecan is a cancer medication that interferes with the growth and spread of cancer cells in the body.
Topotecan is used to treat ovarian cancer, small cell lung cancer, and certain types of cervical cancer.
Topotecan may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of topotecan (Hycamtin Capsules)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- wheezing, feeling short of breath, chest pain, dry cough;
- fever, chills, flu symptoms, mouth and throat ulcers, rapid and shallow breathing, fainting;
- pale skin, feeling light-headed, rapid heart rate, trouble concentrating;
- easy bruising, unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum), purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin;
- diarrhea with fever and stomach cramps;
- pain or burning when you urinate; or
- skin changes or severe irritation where the needle is placed.
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, diarrhea, vomiting;
- tired feeling; or
- temporary hair loss.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Hycamtin Capsules (topotecan capsules) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about topotecan (Hycamtin Capsules)?
Topotecan can lower blood cells that help your body fight infections. This can make it easier for you to bleed from an injury or get sick from being around others who are ill. Your blood may need to be tested often. Visit your doctor regularly.
Avoid being near people who are sick or have infections. Tell your doctor at once if you develop signs of infection.
Do not receive a "live" vaccine while using topotecan, and avoid coming into contact with anyone who has recently received a live vaccine. There is a chance that the virus could be passed on to you.
Call your doctor at once if you have fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms, pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding, severe diarrhea with fever or stomach pain, unusual weakness, white patches or sores inside your mouth or on your lips, or other signs of infection.
Additional Hycamtin Capsules Information
- Hycamtin Capsules Drug Interactions Center: topotecan oral
- Hycamtin Capsules Side Effects Center
- Hycamtin Capsules FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.