"The US Food and Drug Administration has approved a US clinical trial of a lung cancer vaccine developed in Cuba.
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced the approval on October 26 at a press conference at the Roswell Park Cancer Inst"...
Hycamtin Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Hycamtin
Generic Name: topotecan (Pronunciation: TOE poe TEE kan)
- What is topotecan (Hycamtin)?
- What are the possible side effects of topotecan (Hycamtin)?
- What is the most important information I should know about topotecan (Hycamtin)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using topotecan (Hycamtin)?
- How should I use topotecan (Hycamtin)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Hycamtin)?
- What happens if I overdose (Hycamtin)?
- What should I avoid while using topotecan (Hycamtin)?
- What other drugs will affect topotecan (Hycamtin)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is topotecan (Hycamtin)?
Topotecan is a cancer medication that interferes with the growth and spread of cancer cells in the body.
Topotecan is used to treat ovarian cancer, small cell lung cancer, and certain types of cervical cancer.
Topotecan may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of topotecan (Hycamtin)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- wheezing, feeling short of breath, chest pain, dry cough;
- fever, chills, flu symptoms, mouth and throat ulcers, rapid and shallow breathing, fainting;
- pale skin, feeling light-headed, rapid heart rate, trouble concentrating;
- easy bruising, unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum), purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin;
- diarrhea with fever and stomach cramps;
- pain or burning when you urinate; or
- skin changes or severe irritation where the needle is placed.
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, diarrhea, vomiting;
- tired feeling; or
- temporary hair loss.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Hycamtin (topotecan hydrochloride) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about topotecan (Hycamtin)?
Do not use topotecan if you are pregnant. It could harm the unborn baby.
Topotecan can lower blood cells that help your body fight infections. This can make it easier for you to bleed from an injury or get sick from being around others who are ill. Your blood may need to be tested often. Visit your doctor regularly.
Avoid being near people who are sick or have infections. Tell your doctor at once if you develop signs of infection.
Do not receive a "live" vaccine while using topotecan, and avoid coming into contact with anyone who has recently received a live vaccine. There is a chance that the virus could be passed on to you.
Call your doctor at once if you have fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms, pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding, severe diarrhea with fever or stomach pain, unusual weakness, white patches or sores inside your mouth or on your lips, or other signs of infection.
Additional Hycamtin Information
- Hycamtin Drug Interactions Center: topotecan iv
- Hycamtin Side Effects Center
- Hycamtin Overview including Precautions
- Hycamtin FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Hycamtin - User Reviews
Hycamtin User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.