"Jan. 17, 2013 -- Cancer death rates have fallen by 20% from their peak about 20 years ago,┬according to the latest statistics from the American Cancer Society.
This means that from 1991 to 2009, 1.2 million lives were spared, includin"...
Hydrea Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Droxia, Hydrea
Generic Name: hydroxyurea (Pronunciation: hye DROX ee yoo REE a)
- What is hydroxyurea (Hydrea)?
- What are the possible side effects of hydroxyurea (Hydrea)?
- What is the most important information I should know about hydroxyurea (Hydrea)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking hydroxyurea (Hydrea)?
- How should I take hydroxyurea (Hydrea)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Hydrea)?
- What happens if I overdose (Hydrea)?
- What should I avoid while taking hydroxyurea (Hydrea)?
- What other drugs will affect hydroxyurea (Hydrea)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is hydroxyurea (Hydrea)?
Hydroxyurea affects certain cells in the body, such as cancer cells or sickled red blood cells.
Hydroxyurea is used to treat chronic myelocytic leukemia, ovarian cancer, and certain types of skin cancer (melanoma and primary squamous cell cancer of the head and neck).
Hydroxyurea is also used to reduce pain episodes and the need for blood transfusions in people with sickle cell anemia. Hydroxyurea will not cure sickle cell anemia.
Hydroxyurea may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Droxia 200 mg
capsule, turquoise, imprinted with DROXIA 6335
Droxia 300 mg
capsule, purple, imprinted with DROXIA 6336
Droxia 400 mg
capsule, orange, imprinted with DROXIA 6337
Hydrea 500 mg
capsule, pink/turquoise, imprinted with HYDREA 830
Hydroxyurea 500 mg-BAR
capsule, pink/purple, imprinted with barr, 882
Hydroxyurea 500 mg-ROX
green/peach, imprinted with 54 072
What are the possible side effects of hydroxyurea (Hydrea)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms, sores in your mouth and throat;
- easy bruising, unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum), purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin;
- pale skin, feeling light-headed or short of breath, rapid heart rate, trouble concentrating;
- skin redness, skin ulcers, or open sores;
- painful or difficult urination;
- confusion, hallucinations, seizure; or
- nausea, pain in your upper stomach, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of your skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- hair loss;
- skin peeling or discoloration, mild rash;
- upset stomach, constipation, diarrhea, vomiting;
- headache, dizziness, drowsiness; or
- weight gain.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Hydrea (hydroxyurea) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about hydroxyurea (Hydrea)?
Do not use hydroxyurea if you are pregnant. It could harm the unborn baby.
You should not use hydroxyurea if you are allergic to it, or if you have severe bone marrow suppression, severe anemia, or low levels of platelets in your blood.
Before using hydroxyurea, tell your doctor if you have bone marrow suppression, HIV or AIDS, liver or kidney disease, or if you are receiving chemotherapy or radiation.
Wash your hands before and after you handle a hydroxyurea capsule or the bottle that contains the pills. For best protection, wear disposable gloves when handling the pills.
Do not open the hydroxyurea capsule. Do not use a pill that has been accidentally opened or broken. The medicine from an open capsule can be dangerous if it gets in your eyes, mouth, or nose, or on your skin. If this occurs, wash your skin with soap and water or rinse your eyes with water.
If any powder from an open capsule is spilled, wipe it up at once with a damp paper towel and throw the towel away in a sealed plastic bag where children and pets cannot get to it.
Hydroxyurea can lower blood cells that help your body fight infections and help your blood to clot. Your blood may need to be tested often. Avoid being near people who are sick or have infections. Avoid activities that may increase your risk of bleeding injury. Tell your doctor at once if you develop signs of infection.
Additional Hydrea Information
- Hydrea Drug Interactions Center: hydroxyurea oral
- Hydrea Side Effects Center
- Hydrea Overview including Precautions
- Hydrea FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Hydrea - User Reviews
Hydrea User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.