Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
The symptoms of hypopituitarism result from decreased hormone production by the pituitary gland. When all the pituitary hormones are affected, the condition is known as panhypopituitarism. Isolated or partial hypopituitarism results when the production of one or more hormones is decreased. The symptoms are variable and depend on the severity of the condition and the number of hormones that are affected. Symptoms can include anemia, decreased appetite, weight loss or gain, sensitivity to cold, fatigue, and a decreased sex drive. Women may experience irregular menstrual cycles, loss of menstruation (amenorrhea), infertility, and the inability to produce milk. Infertility can affect males, as well as a reduction in hair on the face or body. Hypopituitarism in children can lead to short stature and delayed growth and development. Other symptoms include weakness, headache, abdominal pain, low blood pressure, vision problems, facial swelling, hoarseness, joint stiffness, and loss of pubic or armpit hair.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Corenblum, Bernard. "Hypopituitarism." Medscape.com. Feb. 20, 2013. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/122287-overview>.
Longo, Dan, et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2011.
Hypopituitarism Symptoms and Signs
- Abdominal Pain
- Amenorrhea (Absent Menstrual Periods)
- Decreased Appetite
- Decreased Sex Drive
- Delayed Development
- Delayed Growth
- Facial Swelling
- Inability to Produce Milk
- Irregular Menstrual Periods
- Joint Stiffness
- Loss of Body Hair
- Loss of Facial Hair
- Loss of Pubic Hair
- Low Blood Pressure
- Sensitivity to Cold
- Vision Problems
- Weight Gain
- Weight Loss
Examples of Medications for Hypopituitarism Symptoms and Signs
- conjugated estrogens vaginal cream, Premarin Vaginal Cream
- desmopressin - injection, DDAVP
- desmopressin 0.1 mg/ml spray - nasal (refrigerate), DDAVP
- desmopressin 0.1 mg/ml spray - nasal, DDAVP
- desmopressin acetate (DDAVP, Stimate, Minirin)
- desmopressin solution - nasal, DDAVP
- estrogens conjugated, Premarin
- hydrocortisone oral, Hydrocortone, Cortef
- levothyroxine sodium, Synthroid, Levoxyl, Levothroid, Unithroid, Tirosint, Levo-T
- medroxyprogesterone, Provera, Depo-Provera, Depo-Sub Q Provera 104
- prednisone, Deltasone, Liquid Pred
- testosterone - transdermal, Androderm
Find out what women really need.