"On April 6, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved the first generic versions of two drugs used for the treatment of hypertension. Losartan potassium tablets and losartan potassium and hydrochlorothiazide tablets (a combination drug) are "...
Hyzaar Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is hydrochlorothiazide and losartan (Hyzaar)?
- What are the possible side effects of hydrochlorothiazide and losartan (Hyzaar)?
- What is the most important information I should know about hydrochlorothiazide and losartan (Hyzaar)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking hydrochlorothiazide and losartan (Hyzaar)?
- How should I take hydrochlorothiazide and losartan (Hyzaar)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Hyzaar)?
- What happens if I overdose (Hyzaar)?
- What should I avoid while taking hydrochlorothiazide and losartan (Hyzaar)?
- What other drugs will affect hydrochlorothiazide and losartan (Hyzaar)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking hydrochlorothiazide and losartan (Hyzaar)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to hydrochlorothiazide or losartan, or if you are unable to urinate.
To make sure you can safely take hydrochlorothiazide and losartan, tell your doctor if you have any of these other conditions:
- kidney disease;
- liver disease;
- congestive heart failure;
- low or high levels of potassium in your blood;
- diabetes; or
- an allergy to sulfa drugs or penicillin.
FDA pregnancy category D. Do not use hydrochlorothiazide and losartan if you are pregnant. Stop using this medication and tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant. Losartan can cause injury or death to the unborn baby if you take the medicine during your second or third trimester. Use effective birth control while taking hydrochlorothiazide and losartan.
It is not known whether hydrochlorothiazide and losartan passes into breast milk. Do not take this medication without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
How should I take hydrochlorothiazide and losartan (Hyzaar)?
Take exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
Your doctor may occasionally change your dose to make sure you get the best results.
Take this medication with a full glass (8 ounces) of water.
Call your doctor if you have ongoing vomiting or diarrhea, or if you are sweating more than usual. You can easily become dehydrated while taking this medication, which can lead to severely low blood pressure or a serious electrolyte imbalance.
Your blood pressure will need to be checked often. Your kidney function may also need to be tested. Visit your doctor regularly.
If you need surgery or medical tests, tell the doctor ahead of time that you are taking medication that contains hydrochlorothiazide. You may need to stop using the medicine for a short time.
If you are being treated for high blood pressure, keep using this medication even if you feel well. High blood pressure often has no symptoms. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Additional Hyzaar Information
Hyzaar - User Reviews
Hyzaar User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips on handling your hypertension.