"March 11, 2014 - The U.S. Food and Drug Administration allowed marketing of the first device as a preventative treatment for migraine headaches. This is also the first transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) device specifically "...
Motrin Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Advil, Advil Childrens, Advil Junior Strength, Advil Liquigel, Advil Migraine, Advil Pediatric, Children's Ibuprofen Berry, Genpril, Ibu, Midol IB, Midol Maximum Strength Cramp Formula, Motrin Childrens, Motrin IB, Motrin Infant Drops, Motrin Junior Strength, Motrin Migraine Pain, Nuprin
Generic Name: ibuprofen (Pronunciation: EYE bue PROE fen)
- What is ibuprofen (Motrin)?
- What are the possible side effects of ibuprofen?
- What is the most important information I should know about ibuprofen?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking ibuprofen?
- How should I take ibuprofen?
- What happens if I miss a dose?
- What happens if I overdose?
- What should I avoid while taking ibuprofen?
- What other drugs will affect ibuprofen?
- Where can I get more information?
What is ibuprofen (Motrin)?
Ibuprofen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Ibuprofen works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body.
Ibuprofen is used to reduce fever and treat pain or inflammation caused by many conditions such as headache, toothache, back pain, arthritis, menstrual cramps, or minor injury.
Ibuprofen may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Ibuprofen 100 mg per 5 mL-PER
Ibuprofen 400 mg-PAR
oblong, white, imprinted with IBU 400
Ibuprofen 400 mg-QUA
round, white, imprinted with 400, IP 131
Ibuprofen 400 mg-SCH
oblong, white, imprinted with SCHEIN 0765/400
Ibuprofen 600 mg-INT
oval, white, imprinted with IP 132, 600
Ibuprofen 600 mg-PAR
oblong, white, imprinted with IBU 600
Ibuprofen 600 mg-SCH
oblong, white, imprinted with SCHEIN 0766/600
Ibuprofen 800 mg-PAR
oblong, white, imprinted with IBU 800
Ibuprofen 800 mg-QUA
oval, white, imprinted with 800, IP 137
What are the possible side effects of ibuprofen?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking ibuprofen and seek medical attention or call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, problems with vision or balance;
- black, bloody, or tarry stools, coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
- swelling or rapid weight gain;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
- bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness; or
- severe headache, neck stiffness, chills, increased sensitivity to light, and/or seizure (convulsions).
Less serious side effects may include:
- upset stomach, mild heartburn, diarrhea, constipation;
- bloating, gas;
- dizziness, headache, nervousness;
- skin itching or rash;
- blurred vision; or
- ringing in your ears.
Read the Motrin (ibuprofen) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about ibuprofen?
This medicine may cause life-threatening heart or circulation problems such as heart attack or stroke, especially if you use it long term. Do not use ibuprofen just before or after heart bypass surgery (coronary artery bypass graft, or CABG).
Get emergency medical help if you have chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, or problems with vision or balance.
This medicine may also cause serious effects on the stomach or intestines, including bleeding or perforation (forming of a hole). These conditions can be fatal and can occur without warning while you are taking ibuprofen, especially in older adults.
Call your doctor at once if you have symptoms of stomach bleeding such as black, bloody, or tarry stools, or coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds.
Do not take more of this medication than is recommended. An overdose of ibuprofen can cause damage to your stomach or intestines. Use only the smallest amount of ibuprofen needed to get relief from your pain, swelling, or fever.
Additional Motrin Information
- Motrin Drug Interactions Center: ibuprofen oral
- Motrin Side Effects Center
- Motrin Overview including Precautions
- Motrin FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Motrin - User Reviews
Motrin User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find the secrets to longer life.