Imitrex Nasal Spray
"Most of us get headaches from time to time. Some are mild. Others cause throbbing pain. They can last for minutes or days. There are many different types of headaches. How you treat yours depends on which kind you have.
Imitrex Nasal Spray
Imitrex Nasal Spray Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Imitrex, Imitrex Nasal
Generic Name: sumatriptan (oral/nasal) (Pronunciation: soo ma TRIP tan)
- What is sumatriptan (Imitrex Nasal Spray)?
- What are the possible side effects of sumatriptan (Imitrex Nasal Spray)?
- What is the most important information I should know about sumatriptan (Imitrex Nasal Spray)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using sumatriptan (Imitrex Nasal Spray)?
- How should I use sumatriptan (Imitrex Nasal Spray)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Imitrex Nasal Spray)?
- What happens if I overdose (Imitrex Nasal Spray)?
- What should I avoid while using sumatriptan (Imitrex Nasal Spray)?
- What other drugs will affect sumatriptan (Imitrex Nasal Spray)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is sumatriptan (Imitrex Nasal Spray)?
Sumatriptan is a headache medicine that narrows blood vessels around the brain. Sumatriptan also reduces substances in the body that can trigger headache pain, nausea, sensitivity to light and sound, and other migraine symptoms.
Sumatriptan is used to treat migraine headaches. Sumatriptan will only treat a headache that has already begun. It will not prevent headaches or reduce the number of attacks.
Sumatriptan should not be used to treat a common tension headache, a headache that causes loss of movement on one side of your body, or any headache that seems to be different from your usual migraine headaches. Use this medication only if your condition has been confirmed by a doctor as migraine headaches.
Sumatriptan may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Imitrex 100 mg
triangular, pink, imprinted with IMITREX, 100
Imitrex 100 mg-New
triangular, pink, imprinted with IMITEX 100, LOGO
Imitrex 25 mg
round, white, imprinted with I, 25
Imitrex 50 mg
triangular, white, imprinted with IMITREX, 50
Imitrex 50 mg-New
triangular, white, imprinted with IMITREX 50, LOGO
Sumatriptan 100 mg-TEV
oblong, pink, imprinted with 93, 224
Sumatriptan 25 mg-TEV
oblong, white, imprinted with 93, 222
Sumatriptan 50 mg-TEV
oblong, white, imprinted with 93, 223
What are the possible side effects of sumatriptan (Imitrex Nasal Spray)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using sumatriptan and call your doctor if you have a serious side effect such as:
- feeling of pain or tightness in your jaw, neck, or throat;
- chest pain or heavy feeling, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder, nausea, sweating, general ill feeling;
- sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body;
- sudden severe headache, confusion, problems with vision, speech, or balance;
- sudden and severe stomach pain and bloody diarrhea;
- seizure (convulsions);
- numbness or tingling and a pale or blue-colored appearance in your fingers or toes; or
- (if you are also taking an antidepressant) -- agitation, hallucinations, fever, fast heart rate, overactive reflexes, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of coordination, fainting.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild headache (not a migraine);
- pressure or heavy feeling in any part of your body;
- feeling hot or cold;
- dizziness, spinning sensation;
- nausea, vomiting, drooling;
- unusual taste in your mouth after using the nasal spray;
- burning, numbness, pain or other irritation in your nose or throat after using the nasal spray; or
- warmth, redness, or mild tingling under your skin.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Imitrex Nasal Spray (sumatriptan nasal spray) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about sumatriptan (Imitrex Nasal Spray)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to sumatriptan, if you have any history of heart disease, or if you have coronary heart disease, angina, blood circulation problems, lack of blood supply to the heart, uncontrolled high blood pressure, severe liver disease, ischemic bowel disease, a history of a heart attack or stroke, or if your headache seems to be different from your usual migraine headaches.
Do not use sumatriptan within 24 hours before or after using another migraine headache medicine, including sumatriptan injection, almotriptan (Axert), eletriptan (Relpax), frovatriptan (Frova), rizatriptan (Maxalt), naratriptan (Amerge), zolmitriptan (Zomig), or ergot medicine such as dihydroergotamine (D.H.E. 45, Migranal), ergotamine (Ergomar, Cafergot, Migergot), dihydroergotamine (D.H.E. 45, Migranal), or methylergonovine (Methergine).
Do not use sumatriptan if you have used an MAO inhibitor such as furazolidone (Furoxone), isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), rasagiline (Azilect), selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam, Zelapar), or tranylcypromine (Parnate) in the last 14 days.
Before using sumatriptan, tell your doctor if you have liver or kidney disease, seizures, high blood pressure, a heart rhythm disorder, or coronary heart disease (or risk factors such as diabetes, menopause, smoking, being overweight, having high cholesterol, having a family history of coronary artery disease, being older than 40 and a man, or being a woman who has had a hysterectomy).
Also tell your doctor if you are taking an antidepressant such as citalopram (Celexa), desvenlafaxine (Pristiq), duloxetine (Cymbalta), escitalopram (Lexapro), fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem), fluvoxamine (Luvox), paroxetine (Paxil), sertraline (Zoloft), or venlafaxine (Effexor).
Sumatriptan will only treat a headache that has already begun. It will not prevent headaches or reduce the number of attacks.
After taking a sumatriptan tablet, you must wait two (2) hours before taking a second tablet. Do not take more than 200 mg of sumatriptan tablets in 24 hours.
After using sumatriptan nasal spray, you must wait two (2) hours before using a second spray. Do not use more than 40 mg of sumatriptan nasal spray in 24 hours.
Additional Imitrex Nasal Spray Information
Imitrex Nasal Spray - User Reviews
Imitrex Nasal Spray User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find the secrets to longer life.