Imogam Rabies Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Imovax Rabies (obsolete), Imovax Rabies I.D. (obsolete), RabAvert (obsolete), Rabies Vaccine (obsolete)
Generic Name: rabies vaccine (Pronunciation: ray BEES vack seen)
- What is rabies vaccine (Imogam Rabies)?
- What are the possible side effects of rabies vaccine (Imogam Rabies)?
- What is the most important information I should know about rabies vaccine (Imogam Rabies)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before receiving rabies vaccine (Imogam Rabies)?
- How is rabies vaccine administered (Imogam Rabies)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Imogam Rabies)?
- What happens if I overdose (Imogam Rabies)?
- What should I avoid before or after getting rabies vaccine (Imogam Rabies)?
- What other drugs will affect rabies vaccine (Imogam Rabies)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is rabies vaccine (Imogam Rabies)?
Rabies is a serious disease caused by a virus. Rabies is mainly a disease of animals. Humans get rabies when they are bitten by an infected animal. There may be no symptoms at first, but weeks or even years after a bite from an infected animal, rabies can cause pain, fatigue, headaches, irritability, fever, seizures, hallucinations, and paralysis. Rabies can be fatal.
What are the possible side effects of rabies vaccine (Imogam Rabies)?
Getting rabies disease is much riskier than getting rabies vaccine. However, a vaccine, like any medicine, is capable of causing serious problems, such as severe allergic reactions. The risk of rabies vaccine causing serious harm, or death, is extremely small.
Seek emergency medical attention or contact your doctor immediately if any of the following rare but serious side effects from rabies vaccine are experienced:
- a serious allergic reaction including swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; hives; paleness; weakness; dizziness; or a fast heart beat within a few minutes to a few hours after the shot;
- high fever; or
- behavior changes.
Some people who get rabies vaccine get a sore spot where the shot was given.
Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Contact your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.
Read the Imogam Rabies (rabies immune globulin (human)) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects »
What is the most important information I should know about rabies vaccine (Imogam Rabies)?
People with minor illnesses, such as a cold, may be vaccinated. Those who are moderately or severely ill should usually wait until they recover before getting rabies vaccine. However, if you have been exposed to the rabies virus, you should get the vaccine regardless of any other illnesses you may have.
Additional Imogam Rabies Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.