Table of Contents
- Impetigo facts
- What is impetigo? What causes impetigo?
- What are the types of impetigo? What are impetigo symptoms and signs? What does impetigo look like?
- Is impetigo contagious?
- How is impetigo diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for impetigo?
- What are possible complications of impetigo?
- Will impetigo leave scars?
- Is it possible to prevent impetigo?
What is impetigo? What causes impetigo?
Impetigo (pronounced im-puh-TIE-go) is a contagious, superficial infection of the skin caused by Staphylococcus (staph) and Streptococcus (strep) bacteria. Impetigo is more common in children (especially 2- to 5-year-olds) than in adults. Impetigo is most likely to occur in warm and humid environments and is most commonly spread by close contact (such as family members). Continue Reading