"Nov. 1, 2013 (San Diego)- Women who drink one or more sugar-sweetened sodas a day might raise their risk of getting rheumatoid arthritis, according to a new study that links RA risk to the sugary habit. The study does not prove cause and ef"...
(Generic versions may still be available.)
Indocin Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Indocin, Indocin SR
Generic Name: indomethacin (Pronunciation: in doe METH a sin)
- What is indomethacin (Indocin)?
- What are the possible side effects of indomethacin (Indocin)?
- What is the most important information I should know about indomethacin (Indocin)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking indomethacin (Indocin)?
- How should I take indomethacin (Indocin)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Indocin)?
- What happens if I overdose (Indocin)?
- What should I avoid while taking indomethacin (Indocin)?
- What other drugs will affect indomethacin (Indocin)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is indomethacin (Indocin)?
Indomethacin is in a group of drugs called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Indomethacin works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body.
Indomethacin is used to treat pain or inflammation caused by many conditions such as arthritis, gout, ankylosing spondylitis, bursitis, or tendinitis.
Indomethacin may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Indomethacin 25 mg-MYL
green, imprinted with MYLAN 143
Indomethacin 25 mg-TEV
green, imprinted with Z 4029
Indomethacin 50 mg-ESI
pink/white, imprinted with Lederle I20
Indomethacin 50 mg-IVA
green, imprinted with Z 4030
Indomethacin 50 mg-MYL
green, imprinted with MYLAN 147
Indomethacin 50 mg-TEV
green, imprinted with Z 4030
Indomethacin 75 mg SR-EON
clear/green, imprinted with E720
What are the possible side effects of indomethacin (Indocin)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking indomethacin and seek medical attention or call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, problems with vision or balance;
- black, bloody, or tarry stools;
- coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
- swelling or rapid weight gain;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash; or
- bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness.
Less serious side effects may include:
- upset stomach, mild heartburn, diarrhea, constipation;
- bloating, gas;
- dizziness, nervousness, headache;
- skin rash, itching;
- blurred vision; or
- ringing in your ears.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Indocin (indomethacin) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about indomethacin (Indocin)?
This medicine can increase your risk of life-threatening heart or circulation problems, including heart attack or stroke. This risk will increase the longer you use indomethacin. Do not use this medicine just before or after having heart bypass surgery (also called coronary artery bypass graft, or CABG).
Seek emergency medical help if you have symptoms of heart or circulation problems, such as chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, or problems with vision or balance.
This medicine can also increase your risk of serious effects on the stomach or intestines, including bleeding or perforation (forming of a hole). These conditions can be fatal and gastrointestinal effects can occur without warning at any time while you are taking indomethacin. Older adults may have an even greater risk of these serious gastrointestinal side effects.
Call your doctor at once if you have symptoms of bleeding in your stomach or intestines. This includes black, bloody, or tarry stools, or coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds.
Do not drink alcohol while taking indomethacin. Alcohol can increase the risk of stomach bleeding caused by indomethacin.
Do not use any other over-the-counter cold, allergy, or pain medication without first asking your doctor or pharmacist. Many medicines available over the counter contain aspirin or other medicines similar to indomethacin (such as ibuprofen, ketoprofen, or naproxen). If you take certain products together you may accidentally take too much of this type of medication. Read the label of any other medicine you are using to see if it contains aspirin, ibuprofen, ketoprofen, or naproxen.
Additional Indocin Information
Indocin - User Reviews
Indocin User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options