Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Infertility is the diminished ability or the inability to conceive and have offspring. Infertility is also defined in specific terms as the failure to conceive after a year of regular intercourse without contraception. Irreversible infertility is also referred to as sterility.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Causes of Infertility
In This ArticleAlcoholism Article
- Alcoholism and alcohol abuse facts
- What is alcohol abuse?
- What is alcoholism?
- What differentiates alcohol abuse from alcoholism?
- What are risk factors for alcoholism?
- What causes alcoholism? Is alcoholism hereditary?
- What are alcohol abuse and alcoholism symptoms and signs in teenagers, women, men, and the elderly?
- How is alcoholism diagnosed?
- What are the stages of alcoholism?
- What is the treatment for alcoholism?
- What medications treat alcoholism?
- How can you tell if someone has a drinking problem?
- Can an alcoholic just cut back or stop drinking?
- Is there a safe level of drinking?
- Is it safe to drink alcohol while pregnant?
- How can someone find more information or get help or support to treat alcohol abuse and alcoholism?
- What are the long-term physical and psychological effects of alcohol abuse and alcoholism?
- What is codependency and what is the treatment for codependency?
- Can alcoholism be prevented?
- What is the prognosis of alcoholism?
In This ArticleAmenorrhea Article
- What is amenorrhea?
- What causes amenorrhea?
- What are the symptoms of amenorrhea?
- When should I seek medical care for amenorrhea?
- How is amenorrhea diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for amenorrhea?
- What are the complications of amenorrhea?
- Can amenorrhea be prevented?
- What is the outlook for a woman suffering from amenorrhea?
- Amenorrhea At A Glance
In This ArticleAntiphospholipid Syndrome Article
- What is antiphospholipid syndrome?
- What laboratory tests can support the diagnosis of antiphospholipid syndrome?
- What causes antiphospholipid syndrome?
- How is antiphospholipid syndrome treated?
- What is catastrophic antiphospholipid syndrome?
- Antiphospholipid Syndrome At A Glance
In This ArticleCocaine and Crack Abuse Article
- Cocaine and crack abuse facts
- What is cocaine? What is crack?
- How is cocaine abused?
- What are cocaine's effects on the body and the mind?
- What causes and prevents cocaine abuse and addiction?
- What are symptoms and signs of cocaine abuse and addiction?
- How is cocaine addiction diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for cocaine and crack addiction?
- What are symptoms and signs of cocaine withdrawal?
- What are the long-term effects and the prognosis for cocaine and crack addiction?
- Where can people find more information about cocaine and crack abuse?
In This ArticleEndometriosis Article
- Endometriosis facts
- What is endometriosis?
- Who is affected by endometriosis?
- What causes endometriosis?
- What are endometriosis symptoms?
- Endometriosis and cancer risk
- How is endometriosis diagnosed?
- How is endometriosis treated?
- Medical treatment of endometriosis
- Surgical treatment of endometriosis
- Treatment of infertility associated with endometriosis
- Related endometriosis article:
Endometriosis - on eMedicineHealth
In This ArticlePelvic Inflammatory Disease Article
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) facts*
- What is pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)?
- What causes pelvic inflammatory disease?
- How common is pelvic inflammatory disease?
- Are some women more likely to get pelvic inflammatory disease?
- What are the signs and symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease?
- How is pelvic inflammatory disease diagnosed?
- How is pelvic inflammatory disease treated?
- What if my partner is infected with pelvic inflammatory disease?
- My friend was told she can't get pregnant because she has PID. Is this true?
- How can I keep myself from getting PID?
- What should I do if I think I have an STI (sexually transmitted disease)?
In This ArticlePolycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Article
- What is polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)?
- What are the symptoms of PCOS?
- What causes PCOS?
- How is PCOS diagnosed?
- What conditions or complications can be associated with PCOS?
- What treatments are available for PCOS?
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) At A Glance
Other Causes of Infertility
Other FEMALE CAUSES:
- Fallopian Tube Disorder
Other MALE CAUSES
- Azoospermia (Absent Sperm)
- Hypogonadism (Such As From Alcoholism)
- Immotile Sperm
- Sperm Transport Disorder (Obstruction of the Vas Deferens or Epididymus)
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Trying to Conceive
Get tips and advances in treatment.