"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration will complete its phase-out of all inhaler medical products containing chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) by Dec. 31, 2013. This effort is to comply with an international treaty to protect the ozone layer by phasing "...
Intal Inhaler Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Intal, Intal Inhaler
Generic Name: cromolyn sodium (inhalation) (Pronunciation: KROE moe lin SOE dee um)
- What is cromolyn sodium inhalation (Intal Inhaler)?
- What are the possible side effects of cromolyn sodium inhalation (Intal Inhaler)?
- What is the most important information I should know about cromolyn sodium inhalation (Intal Inhaler)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using cromolyn sodium inhalation (Intal Inhaler)?
- How should I use cromolyn sodium inhalation (Intal Inhaler)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Intal Inhaler)?
- What happens if I overdose (Intal Inhaler)?
- What should I avoid while taking cromolyn sodium inhalation (Intal Inhaler)?
- What other drugs will affect cromolyn sodium inhalation (Intal Inhaler)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is cromolyn sodium inhalation (Intal Inhaler)?
Cromolyn sodium is an anti-inflammatory medication. It works by preventing the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation.
Cromolyn sodium inhalation is used to prevent asthma attacks in people with bronchial asthma. Cromolyn sodium is also used to prevent bronchospasm (wheezing, chest tightness, trouble breathing) caused by exercise, pollutants in the air, or exposure to certain chemicals.
Cromolyn sodium inhalation may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of cromolyn sodium inhalation (Intal Inhaler)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- severe wheezing or chest tightness just after inhaling the medication;
- skin rash, bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness; or
- fever, swollen glands, rash or itching, joint pain, and a general ill feeling.
Less serious side effects may include:
- dry or irritated throat, temporary or occasional cough;
- sneezing, stuffy or itchy nose, watery eyes;
- burning or bleeding of your nose;
- nausea, heartburn, stomach pain;
- urinating more or less than usual;
- dizziness, drowsiness, headache; or
- unusual or unpleasant taste in your mouth.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Intal Inhaler (cromolyn sodium inhalation aerosol) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about cromolyn sodium inhalation (Intal Inhaler)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to cromolyn sodium.
Before using cromolyn sodium inhalation, tell your doctor if you have heart disease or a heart rhythm disorder, coronary artery disease, kidney disease, or liver disease.
Do not use cromolyn sodium inhalation to treat an asthma attack that has already begun. It will not work fast enough. Use only a fast-acting inhalation medicine to treat an asthma attack.
Your dosage needs may change if you have surgery, are ill, are under stress, or have recently had an asthma attack. Do not change your doses or stop using cromolyn sodium inhalation without first talking to your doctor. Stopping suddenly or not using enough medicine can make your condition worse.
Talk with your doctor if any of your asthma medications do not seem to work as well in treating or preventing asthma attacks.
Additional Intal Inhaler Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.