In this Article
- What other names is Iodine known by?
- What is Iodine?
- How does Iodine work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for Iodine.
When iodine is used directly on the skin, it can cause skin irritation, stains, allergic reactions, and other side effects. Be careful not to bandage or tightly cover areas that have been treated with iodine to avoid iodine burn.
Do not use iodine if:
- You are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- You have a thyroid disorder such as too little thyroid function (hypothyroidism), an enlarged thyroid gland (goiter), or a thyroid tumor.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.