In this Article
- What other names is Ipecac known by?
- What is Ipecac?
- How does Ipecac work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for Ipecac.
Interaction Rating: Major Do not take this combination.
Activated charcoal can bind up syrup of ipecac in the stomach. This decreases the effectiveness of syrup of ipecac.
- To cause vomiting after suspected poisoning: 15 mL ipecac syrup followed by 1-2 glasses of water. This dose may be repeated once in 20 minutes if vomiting does not occur. Before using ipecac syrup to treat poisoning, call a poison control hotline for advice. Ipecac syrup is available both as a nonprescription product and as an FDA-approved prescription product.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get the latest treatment options.