In this Article
- What other names is Ipecac known by?
- What is Ipecac?
- How does Ipecac work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for Ipecac.
Interaction Rating: Major Do not take this combination.
Activated charcoal can bind up syrup of ipecac in the stomach. This decreases the effectiveness of syrup of ipecac.
- To cause vomiting after suspected poisoning: 15 mL ipecac syrup followed by 1-2 glasses of water. This dose may be repeated once in 20 minutes if vomiting does not occur. Before using ipecac syrup to treat poisoning, call a poison control hotline for advice. Ipecac syrup is available both as a nonprescription product and as an FDA-approved prescription product.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.