Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Triggers, Prevention (cont.)
In this Article
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) triggers and prevention introduction
- Diet triggers for IBS constipation
- Diet triggers for IBS diarrhea
- Stress and anxiety triggers for IBS
- Drugs that can trigger IBS
- Menstrual triggers for IBS
- Other triggers for IBS
- Find a local Doctor in your town
3. Stress and Anxiety Triggers for IBS
- Problems at work
- Problems at home
- Financial problems
- A sense that things are beyond your control
- Practice healthy living. Eat a well-balanced diet that is appropriate for
your IBS. Get regular exercise and enough
- Do something fun. Listen to music, read, shop, or take a walk.
- Try behavioral therapy. Learn how to calm yourself down with the help of
techniques such as relaxation therapy, biofeedback, hypnotherapy, cognitive
behavioral therapy, and psychotherapy.
- Talk to people. If you feel comfortable doing so, tell your family members,
close friends, boss, and co-workers about your IBS. They may provide vital
support. Plus, the conversation may prevent any misunderstandings when your
symptoms flare up and you are not able to meet expectations.
- Plan ahead. Ease worries about going out lest your symptoms flare up. Get up earlier if you know IBS makes you late for work. If you are driving, map your route so that you know locations of bathrooms. At social events, choose aisle seats close to the facilities. Know what's on the menu so you can eat beforehand if the food will not be agreeable to you.
Viewers share their comments
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Constipation Question: If you have IBS-related constipation, what are the triggers? What dietary changes have you made?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Diarrhea Question: Do you get IBS-related diarrhea? Discuss the triggers and dietary changes you have made.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Stress and Anxiety Question: Does stress or anxiety trigger your IBS? What changes have you made to alleviate these triggers?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Other Triggers Question: Discuss the things that trigger symptoms of IBS and ways you try to prevent recurrences.
Get the latest treatment options.