Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children (cont.)
In this Article
- Irritable bowel syndrome in children facts*
- What is irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)?
- What is the GI tract?
- How common is IBS in children?
- What are the symptoms of IBS in children?
- What causes IBS in children?
- How is IBS in children diagnosed?
- How is IBS in children treated?
- Eating, diet, and nutrition
- Therapies for mental health problems
- Find a local Gastroenterologist in your town
The health care provider will select medications based on the child's symptoms. Caregivers should not give children any medications unless told to do so by a health care provider.
- Fiber supplements. Fiber supplements may be recommended to relieve constipation when increasing dietary fiber is ineffective.
- Laxatives. Constipation can be treated with laxative medications. Laxatives work in different ways, and a health care provider can provide information about which type is best. Caregivers should not give children laxatives unless told to do so by a health care provider.
- Antidiarrheals. Loperamide has been found to reduce diarrhea in children with IBS, though it does not reduce pain, bloating, or other symptoms. Loperamide reduces stool frequency and improves stool consistency by slowing the movement of stool through the colon. Medications to treat diarrhea in adults can be dangerous for infants and children and should only be given if told to do so by a health care provider.
- Antispasmodics. Antispasmodics, such as hyoscine, cimetropium, and pinaverium, help to control colon muscle spasms and reduce abdominal pain.
- Antidepressants. Tricyclic antidepressants and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in low doses can help relieve IBS symptoms including abdominal pain. These medications are thought to reduce the perception of pain, improve mood and sleep patterns, and adjust the activity of the GI tract.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 7/13/2012
Viewers share their comments
Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children - Symptoms Question: What were your child's symptoms associated with IBS?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of your child's IBS?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests and exams led to an IBS diagnosis for your child?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment is your child receiving for his/her IBS?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children - Diet Question: What foods trigger IBS in your child? Please share your experience.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children - Probiotics Question: Does your child take probiotics to control his/her IBS? What dietary changes have you made?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children - Mental Health Therapy Question: Has your child benefited from talk therapy/counseling? Please share your experience.
Get the latest treatment options.