"Dec. 14, 2012 -- Drinking a glass of beet juice may have an immediate impact on lowering blood pressure, according to a new study.
The study shows that within hours of drinking it, beet juice lowered systolic blood pressure (the top n"...
(Generic versions may still be available.)
If overdose is suspected, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately. Symptoms of overdose may include fainting or severe dizziness, unusually slow pulse, nausea, and vomiting.
Signs and Symptoms
Postural hypotension (with dizziness, blurred vision, and possibly syncope when standing), shock, and bradycardia are most likely to occur; diarrhea (possibly severe), nausea, and vomiting may also occur. Unconsciousness is unlikely if adequate blood pressure and cerebral perfusion can be maintained by placing the patient in the supine position and by administering other treatment as required.
There is no specific antidote.
In previously normotensive patients, treatment has consisted essentially of restoring blood pressure and heart rate to normal by keeping the patient in the supine position. Normal homeostatic control usually returns gradually over a 72-hour period in these patients.
In previously hypertensive patients, particularly those with impaired cardiac reserve or other cardiovascularrenal disease, intensive treatment may be required to support vital functions and to control cardiac irregularities that might be present. The supine position must be maintained; if vasopressors, are required, they must be used with extreme caution, since Ismelin (guanethidine monosulfate) may increase responsiveness, causing a rise in blood pressure and development of cardiac arrhythmias.
Additional Ismelin Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get tips on handling your hypertension.