"Nov. 1, 2012 -- Having even mildly elevated blood pressure at midlife prematurely ages the brain, a new study shows.
Researchers say the early changes seen with higher blood pressure may set the stage for problems with thinking, memor"...
(Generic versions may still be available.)
Ismelin Side Effects Center
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What is Patient Information in Detail?
Easy-to-read and understand detailed drug information and pill images for the patient or caregiver from Cerner Multum.
Ismelin in Detail - Patient Information: Side Effects
If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking guanethidine and seek emergency medical attention or contact your doctor immediately:
- an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
- irregular heartbeats;
- heart failure (shortness of breath, swelling of ankles or legs, sudden weight gain of 5 pounds or more); or
- chest pain.
Other, less serious side effects are more likely to occur. Continue to take guanethidine and talk to your doctor if you experience
- unusual fatigue or drowsiness;
- dizziness (avoid standing up to quickly and use caution when performing hazardous activities);
- anxiety, depression, or nightmares;
- diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting (take guanethidine with food or milk if it upsets your stomach);
- stuffy nose or a dry mouth (sucking on ice chips or sugarless hard candy may relieve a dry mouth);
- blurred vision;
- weight gain; or
- impotence or difficulty ejaculating.
Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.
Read the entire detailed patient monograph for Ismelin (Guanethidine Monosulfate) »
What is Prescribing information?
The FDA package insert formatted in easy-to-find categories for health professionals and clinicians.
Ismelin FDA Prescribing Information: Side Effects
The following adverse reactions have been observed but there are not enough data to support an estimate of their frequency. Consequently the reactions are categorized by organ system and are listed in decreasing order of severity and not frequency.
Neurologic: Syncope resulting from either postural or exertional hypotension; dizziness; blurred vision; muscle tremor; ptosis of the lids; mental depression; chest paresthesias; weakness; lassitude; fatigue.
Metabolic: Weight gain
Read the entire FDA prescribing information for Ismelin (Guanethidine Monosulfate) »
Additional Ismelin Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips on handling your hypertension.