- What other names is Jalap known by?
- What is Jalap?
- How does Jalap work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for Jalap.
People use the root of jalap to make medicine. Despite serious safety concerns, this medicine is used to empty and cleanse the bowels (as a cathartic or purgative), and to increase urine flow to relieve water retention (as a diuretic).
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Emptying and cleansing the bowels (cathartic, purgative).
- Increasing the body's loss of water by increasing urine production (diuretic).
- Other conditions.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Next: How does Jalap work?
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.