"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved a new use for Xiaflex (collagenase clostridium histolyticum) as the first FDA-approved medicine to treat men with bothersome curvature of the penis, a condition known as Peyronie's disease."...
Jalyn Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Jalyn
Generic Name: dutasteride and tamsulosin (Pronunciation: doo TAS ter ide and tam soo LOE sin)
- What is dutasteride and tamsulosin (Jalyn)?
- What are the possible side effects of dutasteride and tamsulosin (Jalyn)?
- What is the most important information I should know about dutasteride and tamsulosin (Jalyn)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking dutasteride and tamsulosin (Jalyn)?
- How should I take dutasteride and tamsulosin (Jalyn)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Jalyn)?
- What happens if I overdose (Jalyn)?
- What should I avoid while taking dutasteride and tamsulosin (Jalyn)?
- What other drugs will affect dutasteride and tamsulosin (Jalyn)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is dutasteride and tamsulosin (Jalyn)?
Dutasteride prevents the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in the body. DHT is involved in the development of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
Tamsulosin is in a group of drugs called alpha-adrenergic (AL-fa ad-ren-ER-jik) blockers. Tamsulosin relaxes the muscles in the prostate and bladder neck, making it easier to urinate.
The combination of dutasteride and tamsulosin is used to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) in men with an enlarged prostate.
Dutasteride and tamsulosin may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of dutasteride and tamsulosin (Jalyn)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking this medication and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- feeling like you might pass out; or
- penis erection that is painful or lasts 4 hours or longer.
Less serious side effects may include:
- decreased libido (sex drive);
- decreased amount of semen released during sex;
- impotence (trouble getting or keeping an erection);
- breast tenderness or enlargement;
- mild dizziness; or
- runny nose.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Jalyn (dutasteride and tamsulosin hydrochloride capsules) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about dutasteride and tamsulosin (Jalyn)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to dutasteride (Avodart) or tamsulosin (Flomax). Do not take dutasteride and tamsulosin if you are also taking alfuzosin (Uroxatral), doxazosin (Cardura), prazosin (Minipress), silodosin (Rapaflo), tamsulosin (Flomax), or terazosin (Hytrin).
Dutasteride and tamsulosin should never be taken by a woman, a child, or a teenager. Dutasteride can be absorbed through the skin, and women or children should not be permitted to handle dutasteride and tamsulosin capsules.
This medication can cause birth defects if a woman is exposed to it during pregnancy. Dutasteride and tamsulosin capsules should not be handled by a woman who is pregnant or who may become pregnant. If a woman accidentally comes into contact with this medication from a leaking capsule, wash the area with soap and water right away.
Do not donate blood while taking this medication and for at least 6 months after your treatment ends. Dutasteride can be carried in the blood and could cause birth defects if a pregnant women receives a transfusion with blood that contains dutasteride.
Tamsulosin can affect your pupils during cataract surgery. Tell your eye surgeon ahead of time that you are using this medication. Do not stop using dutasteride and tamsulosin before surgery unless your surgeon tells you to.
Additional Jalyn Information
Jalyn - User Reviews
Jalyn User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.