"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved three new related products for use with diet and exercise to improve blood sugar control in adults with type 2 diabetes: Nesina (alogliptin) tablets, Kazano (alogliptin and metformin hydrochlor"...
Januvia Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Januvia
Generic Name: sitagliptin (Pronunciation: SI ta glip tin)
- What is sitagliptin (Januvia)?
- What are the possible side effects of sitagliptin (Januvia)?
- What is the most important information I should know about sitagliptin (Januvia)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking sitagliptin (Januvia)?
- How should I take sitagliptin (Januvia)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Januvia)?
- What happens if I overdose (Januvia)?
- What should I avoid while taking sitagliptin (Januvia)?
- What other drugs will affect sitagliptin (Januvia)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is sitagliptin (Januvia)?
Sitagliptin is an oral diabetes medicine that helps control blood sugar levels. It works by regulating the levels of insulin your body produces after eating.
Sitagliptin is for people with type 2 diabetes (non-insulin-dependent) diabetes. Sitagliptin is sometimes used in combination with other diabetes medications, but is not for treating type 1 diabetes.
Sitagliptin may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Januvia 100 mg
round, brown, imprinted with 277
Januvia 25 mg
round, pink, imprinted with 221
Januvia 50 mg
round, beige, imprinted with 112
What are the possible side effects of sitagliptin (Januvia)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking sitagliptin and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- pancreatitis - severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, loss of appetite, fast heart rate; or
- fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash.
Less serious side effects may include:
- runny or stuffy nose, sore throat;
- headache; or
- nausea, stomach pain, diarrhea.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Januvia (sitagliptin phosphate) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about sitagliptin (Januvia)?
Do not use this medication if you are allergic to sitagliptin or if you are in a state of diabetic ketoacidosis (call your doctor for treatment with insulin).
Before taking sitagliptin, tell your doctor if you have kidney disease, if you are on dialysis, or if you have a history of pancreatitis.
You may take this medicine with or without food. Follow your doctor's instructions.
Follow your doctor's instructions about any restrictions on food, beverages, or activity while you are taking sitagliptin.
Stop taking sitagliptin and call your doctor at once if you have severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, loss of appetite, or fast heart rate.
Take care not to let your blood sugar get too low. Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) can occur if you skip a meal, exercise too long, drink alcohol, or are under stress. Symptoms include headache, hunger, weakness, sweating, tremor, irritability, or trouble concentrating. Carry hard candy or glucose tablets with you in case you have low blood sugar. Other sugar sources include orange juice and milk. Be sure your family and close friends know how to help you in an emergency.
Sitagliptin is only part of a complete program of treatment that also includes diet, exercise, weight control, and possibly other medications. It is important to use this medicine regularly to get the most benefit. Get your prescription refilled before you run out of medicine completely.
Additional Januvia Information
- Januvia Drug Interactions Center: sitagliptin oral
- Januvia Side Effects Center
- Januvia Overview including Precautions
- Januvia FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Januvia - User Reviews
Januvia User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.