"The Vaccines for Children (VFC) Program offers vaccines at no cost for eligible children through doctors enrolled in the program. Find out if your child qualifies. Vaccinating on time means healthier children, families and communities.
- Patient Information:
Details with Side Effects
Patients should be advised of the following:
- JE-VAX (japanese encephalitis virus vaccine inactivated) is given to provide immunization against Japanese encephalitis virus.
- A three-dose immunizing series should be completed, except in unusual circumstances. (See CONTRAINDICATIONS and DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION sections.)
- JE-VAX (japanese encephalitis virus vaccine inactivated) should be given to a pregnant woman only if, in the opinion of a physician, withholding the vaccine entails even greater risk.
- Any adverse events following JE-VAX (japanese encephalitis virus vaccine inactivated) should be reported through the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) 1-800-822-7967 after contacting the physician immediately.
- If the patient has a past history of urticaria (hives) (following hymenoptera envenomation, drugs, physical or other provocation or of idiopathic origin), adverse effects are more likely.
- Adverse events consisting of arm soreness and local redness can occur shortly after vaccination.
- Adverse events consisting of headache, rash, edema and generalized urticaria or angioedema may occur shortly after vaccination or up to 17 days (usually within 10 days) following vaccination.
- International travel should not be initiated within 10 days of JE-VAX (japanese encephalitis virus vaccine inactivated) vaccination because of the possibility of delayed adverse reactions. Patients should be instructed to seek medical attention immediately upon onset of any adverse reaction.
- Personal precautions should be taken to avoid exposure to mosquito bites by the use of insect repellents, and protective clothing. Avoiding outdoor activity, especially during twilight periods and in the evening, will reduce risk even further.
Last reviewed on RxList: 11/4/2008
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Je-Vax Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.