"Researchers have begun the first definitive, large-scale clinical trial to investigate if a vitamin D supplement helps prevent or delay type 2 diabetes in adults who have prediabetes, who are at high risk for developing type 2. Funded by the N"...
JENTADUETO tablets are indicated as an adjunct to diet and exercise to improve glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus when treatment with both linagliptin and metformin is appropriate [see DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION and Clinical Studies].
Important Limitations of Use
JENTADUETO has not been studied in combination with insulin.
JENTADUETO has not been studied in patients with a history of pancreatitis. It is unknown whether patients with a history of pancreatitis are at an increased risk for the development of pancreatitis while using JENTADUETO. [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
The dosage of JENTADUETO should be individualized on the basis of both effectiveness and tolerability, while not exceeding the maximum recommended dose of 2.5 mg linagliptin/1000 mg metformin hydrochloride twice daily. JENTADUETO should be given twice daily with meals. Dose escalation should be gradual to reduce the gastrointestinal (GI) side effects associated with metformin use. For available dosage forms and strengths [see Dosage Forms and Strengths].
Recommended starting dose
- In patients currently not treated with metformin, initiate treatment with 2.5 mg linagliptin/500 mg metformin hydrochloride twice daily
- In patients already treated with metformin, start with 2.5 mg linagliptin and the current dose of metformin taken at each of the two daily meals (e.g., a patient on metformin 1000 mg twice daily would be started on 2.5 mg linagliptin/1000 mg metformin hydrochloride twice daily with meals).
- Patients already treated with linagliptin and metformin individual components may be switched to JENTADUETO containing the same doses of each component.
No studies have been performed specifically examining the safety and efficacy of JENTADUETO in patients previously treated with other oral antihyperglycemic agents and switched to JENTADUETO. Any change in therapy of type 2 diabetes mellitus should be undertaken with care and appropriate monitoring as changes in glycemic control can occur.
Concomitant Use With Sulfonylurea
When JENTADUETO is used in combination with an insulin secretagogue (e.g., sulfonylurea), a lower dose of the insulin secretagogue may be required to reduce the risk of hypoglycemia [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS].
Dosage Forms And Strengths
JENTADUETO is a combination of linagliptin and metformin hydrochloride. JENTADUETO tablets are available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- 2.5 mg linagliptin/500 mg metformin hydrochloride tablets are light yellow, oval, biconvex tablets debossed with “D2/500” on one side and the Boehringer Ingelheim logo on the other side
- 2.5 mg linagliptin/850 mg metformin hydrochloride tablets are light orange, oval, biconvex tablets debossed with “D2/850” on one side and the Boehringer Ingelheim logo on the other side
- 2.5 mg linagliptin/1000 mg metformin hydrochloride tablets are light pink, oval, biconvex tablets debossed with “D2/1000” on one side and the Boehringer Ingelheim logo on the other side
Storage And Handling
JENTADUETO (linagliptin and metformin hydrochloride) tablets 2.5 mg/500 mg are supplied as follows:
Bottles of 60 (NDC
Bottles of 180 (NDC 0597-0146-18)
Bottles of 2000 (NDC 0597-0146-72)
JENTADUETO (linagliptin and metformin hydrochloride) tablets 2.5 mg/850 mg are supplied as follows:
Bottles of 60 (NDC
Bottles of 180 (NDC 0597-0147-18)
Bottles of 2000 (NDC 0597-0147-72)
JENTADUETO (linagliptin and metformin hydrochloride) tablets 2.5 mg/1000 mg are supplied as follows:
Bottles of 60 (NDC 0597-0148-60)
Bottles of 180 (NDC 0597-0148-18)
Bottles of 2000 (NDC 0597-0148-72)
For bottles of 2000, do not discard desiccant after opening; dispense in USP tight container.
Store at 25°C (77°F); excursions permitted to 15°-30°C (59°-86°F) [see USP Controlled Room Temperature]. Protect from exposure to high humidity. Store in a safe place out of reach of children.
Distributed by: Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Ridgefield, CT 06877 USA. Marketed by: Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Ridgefield, CT 06877 USA and Eli Lilly and Company Indianapolis, IN 46285 USA. Revised: June 2013
Last reviewed on RxList: 9/20/2013
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Jenadueto Information
- Jenadueto Drug Interactions Center: linagliptin-metformin oral
- Jenadueto Side Effects Center
- Jenadueto FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.