"Nov. 1, 2012 -- Two more drugs made by the New England Compounding Center (NECC) are crawling with various kinds of bacteria, FDA tests reveal.
The NECC is the Massachusetts compounding pharmacy whose drugs are the likely source of th"...
- Patient Information:
Details with Side Effects
(morphine sulfate extended-release) Capsules
- A strong prescription pain medicine that contains an opioid (narcotic) that is used to treat moderate to severe around-the-clock pain.
Important information about KADIAN®:
- Get emergency help right away if you take too much KADIAN® (overdose). KADIAN® overdose can cause life threatening breathing problems that can lead to death.
- Never give anyone else your KADIAN®. They could die from taking it. Store KADIAN® away from children and in a safe place to prevent stealing or abuse. Selling or giving away KADIAN® is against the law.
Do not take KADIAN® if you have:
- severe asthma, trouble breathing, or other lung problems.
- a bowel blockage or have narrowing of the stomach or intestines.
Before taking KADIAN®, tell your healthcare provider if you have a history of:
- head injury, seizures
- liver, kidney, thyroid problems
- problems urinating
- pancreas or gallbladder problems
- abuse of street or prescription drugs, alcohol addiction, or mental health problems.
Tell your healthcare provider if you are:
- pregnant or planning to become pregnant. KADIAN® may harm your unborn baby.
- breastfeeding. KADIAN® passes into breast milk and may harm your baby.
- taking prescription or over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, or herbal supplements.
When taking KADIAN®:
- Do not change your dose. Take KADIAN® exactly as prescribed by your healthcare provider.
- Take your prescribed dose at the same time every day. Do not take more than your prescribed dose in 24 hours. If you miss a dose, take KADIAN® as soon as possible and then take your next dose 12 or 24 hours later as directed by your healthcare provider. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
- Swallow KADIAN® whole. Do not cut, break, chew, crush, dissolve, or inject KADIAN® .
- If you cannot swallow KADIAN® capsules, see the detailed Instructions for Use.
- Call your healthcare provider if the dose you are taking does not control your pain.
- Do not stop taking KADIAN® without talking to your healthcare provider.
- After you stop taking KADIAN®, flush any unused capsules down the toilet.
While taking KADIAN® Do Not:
- Drive or operate heavy machinery, until you know how KADIAN® affects you. KADIAN® can make you sleepy, dizzy, or lightheaded.
- Drink alcohol or use prescription or over-the-counter medicines that contain alcohol.
The possible side effects of KADIAN® are:
- constipation, nausea, sleepiness, vomiting, tiredness, headache, dizziness, abdominal pain. Call your healthcare provider if you have any of these symptoms and they are severe.
Get emergency medical help if you have:
- trouble breathing, shortness of breath, fast heartbeat, chest pain, swelling of your face, tongue or throat, extreme drowsiness, or you are feeling faint.
These are not all the possible side effects of KADIAN® . Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. For more information go to dailymed.nlm.nih.gov
Instructions For Use
(morphine sulfate extended-release) Capsules
If you cannot swallow KADIAN®capsules, tell your healthcare provider. There may be another way to take KADIAN®that may be right for you. If your doctor tells you that you can take KADIAN®using this other way, follow these steps:
KADIAN®can be opened and the pellets inside the capsule can be sprinkled over apple sauce, as follows:
Open the KADIAN®capsule and sprinkle the pellets over approximately one tablespoon of apple sauce (Figure 1).
- Swallow all of the apple sauce and pellets right away. Do not save any of the apple sauce and pellets for another dose (Figure 2).
- Rinse your mouth to make sure you have swallowed all of the pellets. Do not chew the pellets (Figure 3).
- Flush the empty capsule down the toilet right away (Figure 4).
You should not receive KADIAN® through a nasogastric tube.
Last reviewed on RxList: 7/23/2012
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Kadian Information
Kadian - User Reviews
Kadian User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Chronic Pain/Back Pain
Find tips and advances in treatment.