"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved the first rapid Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) test for the simultaneous detection of HIV-1 p24 antigen as well as antibodies to both HIV-1 and HIV-2 in human serum, plasma, and venous or f"...
Kaletra Capsules Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Kaletra
Generic Name: lopinavir and ritonavir (Pronunciation: loe PIN a vir and ri TOE na veer)
- What is lopinavir and ritonavir (Kaletra Capsules)?
- What are the possible side effects of lopinavir and ritonavir (Kaletra Capsules)?
- What is the most important information I should know about lopinavir and ritonavir (Kaletra Capsules)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking lopinavir and ritonavir (Kaletra Capsules)?
- How should I take lopinavir and ritonavir (Kaletra Capsules)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Kaletra Capsules)?
- What happens if I overdose (Kaletra Capsules)?
- What should I avoid while taking lopinavir and ritonavir (Kaletra Capsules)?
- What other drugs will affect lopinavir and ritonavir (Kaletra Capsules)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is lopinavir and ritonavir (Kaletra Capsules)?
Lopinavir and ritonavir are antiviral medications that prevent human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) cells from multiplying in your body
The combination of lopinavir and ritonavir is used to treat HIV, which causes the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). This medicine is not a cure for HIV or AIDS.
Lopinavir and ritonavir may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of lopinavir and ritonavir (Kaletra Capsules)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking lopinavir and ritonavir and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- dizziness, fainting, fast or pounding heartbeats;
- vision changes;
- increased urination or extreme thirst;
- penis erection that is painful or lasts longer than 4 hours;
- signs of a new infection, such as fever or chills, cough, or flu symptoms;
- severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, fast heart rate;
- loss of appetite, itching, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); or
- severe skin reaction -- fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, upset stomach;
- mild skin rash;
- headache, weakness, feeling tired; or
- changes in the shape or location of body fat (especially in your arms, legs, face, neck, breasts, and waist).
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Kaletra Capsules (lopinavir, ritonavir capsules) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about lopinavir and ritonavir (Kaletra Capsules)?
Many other medicines can interact with lopinavir and ritonavir. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor. Keep a list of all your medicines and show it to any healthcare provider who treats you.
HIV/AIDS is usually treated with a combination of drugs. Use all medications as directed by your doctor. Do not change your doses or medication schedule without your doctor's advice. Every person with HIV or AIDS should remain under the care of a doctor.
Taking this medication will not prevent you from passing HIV to other people. Avoid having unprotected sex or sharing razors or toothbrushes. Talk with your doctor about safe ways to prevent HIV transmission during sex. Sharing drug or medicine needles is never safe, even for a healthy person.
Additional Kaletra Capsules Information
- Kaletra Capsules Drug Interactions Center: lopinavir-ritonavir oral
- Kaletra Capsules Side Effects Center
- Kaletra Capsules Overview including Precautions
- Kaletra Capsules FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Kaletra Capsules - User Reviews
Kaletra Capsules User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get breaking medical news.