"Managing HIV could get a lot easier with a new delivery system for anti-AIDS drugs.
Instead of daily pills, the treatment could lead to drugs that can be administered just once or twice per year.
The new delivery system, designed "...
Kaletra Tablets Patient Information including If I Miss a Dose
In this Article
- What is lopinavir and ritonavir (Kaletra Tablets)?
- What are the possible side effects of lopinavir and ritonavir (Kaletra Tablets)?
- What is the most important information I should know about lopinavir and ritonavir (Kaletra Tablets)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking lopinavir and ritonavir (Kaletra Tablets)?
- How should I take lopinavir and ritonavir (Kaletra Tablets)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Kaletra Tablets)?
- What happens if I overdose (Kaletra Tablets)?
- What should I avoid while taking lopinavir and ritonavir (Kaletra Tablets)?
- What other drugs will affect lopinavir and ritonavir (Kaletra Tablets)?
- Where can I get more information?
What happens if I miss a dose (Kaletra Tablets)?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose (Kaletra Tablets)?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222. An overdose of Kaletra oral liquid could be fatal to a child.
What should I avoid while taking lopinavir and ritonavir (Kaletra Tablets)?
If you take Kaletra liquid and you also take didanosine (Videx), take the didanosine at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after you take Kaletra liquid.
Kaletra liquid contains of alcohol. Avoid drinking alcohol while using this medicine. Tell your doctor if you also take metronidazole (Flagyl) or disulfiram (Antabuse), which can cause severe nausea and vomiting when taken with Kaletra liquid.
Taking this medication will not prevent you from passing HIV to other people. Do not have unprotected sex or share razors or toothbrushes. Talk with your doctor about safe ways to prevent HIV transmission during sex. Sharing drug or medicine needles is never safe, even for a healthy person.
What other drugs will affect lopinavir and ritonavir (Kaletra Tablets)?
Many drugs can interact with this medication. Below is just a partial list. Tell your doctor if you are using:
- colchicine (Colcrys);
- fluticasone (Advair, Flonase, Flovent) or salmeterol (Serevent);
- rifabutin (Mycobutin);
- itraconazole (Sporanox), ketoconazole (Nizoral), voriconazole (Vfend);
- an antidepressant such as bupropion (Wellbutrin, Zyban) or trazodone (Desyrel);
- any other HIV /AIDS medications;
- a blood thinner such as warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven);
- cancer medicine such as nilotinib (Tasigna) or dasatinib (Sprycel);
- cholesterol-lowering medicine such as atorvastatin (Lipitor, Caduet) or rosuvastatin (Crestor);
- drugs that weaken the immune system, such as cyclosporine (Gengraf, Neoral, Sandimmune), sirolimus (Rapamune), or tacrolimus (Prograf);
- heart or blood pressure medicine such as amlodipine (Norvasc, Caduet, Exforge, Lotrel, Tekamlo, Tribenzor, Twynsta), diltiazem (Cartia, Cardizem), nifedipine (Nifedical, Procardia), verapamil (Calan, Covera, Isoptin, Verelan), and others;
- heart rhythm medications such as amiodarone (Cordarone) or quinidine (Quin-G);
- insulin or diabetes medication you take by mouth;
- narcotic medication such as methadone (Dolophine, Methadose) or fentanyl (Actiq, Duragesic, Fentora, Onsolis);
- sildenafil (Viagra, Adcirca), tadalafil (Cialis), or vardenafil (Levitra); or
- seizure medications such as carbamazepine (Carbatrol, Tegretol), phenobarbital (Luminal, Solfoton), or phenytoin (Dilantin).
This list is not complete and there are many other drugs that can interact with lopinavir and ritonavir. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor. Keep a list of all your medicines and show it to any healthcare provider who treats you.
Where can I get more information?
Your pharmacist can provide more information about lopinavir and ritonavir.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2013 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 9.01. Revision date: 4/12/2012.
Your use of the content provided in this service indicates that you have read,understood and agree to the End-User License Agreement,which can be accessed by clicking on this link.
Additional Kaletra Tablets Information
Kaletra Capsules - User Reviews
Kaletra Capsules User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get breaking medical news.