- What other names is Karaya Gum known by?
- What is Karaya Gum?
- How does Karaya Gum work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for Karaya Gum.
Karaya gum is used as a bulk-forming laxative to relieve constipation. It is also used to increase sexual desire (as an aphrodisiac).
In manufacturing, karaya gum is used as a thickener in medications, cosmetics, and denture adhesives; and as a binder and stabilizer in foods and beverages.
Possibly Effective for...
- Use as a bulk-forming laxative to treat constipation.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Stimulating sexual desire (aphrodisiac).
- Other conditions.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.