"April 11, 2013 -- A new oral diabetes drug is expected to arrive on pharmacy shelves in the U.S. this week.
Many people predict that Invokana (canagliflozin), approved by the FDA in March, will be a brisk seller. That's partly because i"...
Monotherapy and Combination Therapy
KAZANO is indicated as an adjunct to diet and exercise to improve glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus in multiple clinical settings when treatment with both alogliptin and metformin is appropriate [see Clinical Studies].
Limitation of Use
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
Recommendations for All Patients
- Health care providers should individualize the starting dose of KAZANO based on the patient's current regimen.
- KAZANO should be taken twice daily with food with gradual dose escalation to reduce the gastrointestinal (GI) side effects due to metformin. KAZANO tablets must not be split before swallowing.
- Dosing may be adjusted based on effectiveness and tolerability while not exceeding the maximum recommended daily dose of 25 mg alogliptin and 2000 mg metformin HCl.
- The following doses are available:
12.5 mg alogliptin and 500 mg metformin HCl
12.5 mg alogliptin and 1000 mg metformin HCl
Dosage Forms And Strengths
- 12.5 mg/500 mg tablets are pale yellow, oblong, film-coated tablets with “12.5/500” debossed on one side and “322M” debossed on the other side
- 12.5 mg/1000 mg tablets are pale yellow, oblong, film-coated tablets with “12.5/1000” debossed on one side and “322M” debossed on the other side
Storage And Handling
KAZANO tablets are available in the following strengths and packages:
12.5 mg/500 mg tablet: pale yellow, oblong, film-coated tablets with “12.5/500” debossed on one side and “322M” debossed on the other side, available in:
NDC 64764-335-60 Bottles of 60 tablets
NDC 64764-335-80 Bottles of 180 tablets
NDC 64764-335-77 Bottles of 500 tablets
12.5 mg/1000 mg tablet: pale yellow, oblong, film-coated tablets with “12.5/1000” debossed on one side and “322M” debossed on the other side, available in:
NDC 64764-337-60 Bottles of 60 tablets
NDC 64764-337-80 Bottles of 180 tablets
NDC 64764-337-77 Bottles of 500 tablets
Store at 25°C (77°F); excursions permitted to 15° to 30°C (59° to 86°F) [see USP Controlled Room Temperature]. Keep container tightly closed.
Distributed by: Takeda Pharmaceuticals America, Inc., Deerfield, IL 60015. Revised: January 2013
Last reviewed on RxList: 2/11/2013
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Kazano Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.