"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Trulicity (dulaglutide), a once-weekly subcutaneous injection to improve glycemic control (blood sugar levels), along with diet and exercise, in adults with type 2 diabetes.
Type 2 diabet"...
Monotherapy And Combination Therapy
KAZANO is indicated as an adjunct to diet and exercise to improve glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus in multiple clinical settings when treatment with both alogliptin and metformin is appropriate [see Clinical Studies].
Limitation Of Use
KAZANO should not be used in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus or for the treatment of diabetic ketoacidosis, as it would not be effective in these settings.
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
Recommendations For All Patients
- Healthcare providers should individualize the starting dose of KAZANO based on the patient's current regimen.
- KAZANO should be taken twice daily with food with gradual dose escalation to reduce the gastrointestinal (GI) side effects due to metformin. KAZANO tablets must not be split before swallowing.
- Dosing may be adjusted based on effectiveness and tolerability while not exceeding the maximum recommended daily dose of 25 mg alogliptin and 2000 mg metformin HCl.
- The following doses are available:
- 12.5 mg alogliptin and 500 mg metformin HCl
- 12.5 mg alogliptin and 1000 mg metformin HCl
Dosage Forms And Strengths
- 12.5 mg/500 mg tablets are pale yellow, oblong, film-coated tablets with “12.5/500” debossed on one side and “322M” debossed on the other side
- 12.5 mg/1000 mg tablets are pale yellow, oblong, film-coated tablets with “12.5/1000” debossed on one side and “322M” debossed on the other side
Storage And Handling
KAZANO tablets are available in the following strengths and packages:
12.5 mg/500 mg tablet: pale yellow, oblong, film-coated tablets with “12.5/500” debossed on one side and “322M” debossed on the other side, available in:
NDC 64764-335-60 Bottles of 60 tablets
NDC 64764-335-80 Bottles of 180 tablets
NDC 64764-335-77 Bottles of 500 tablets
12.5 mg/1000 mg tablet: pale yellow, oblong, film-coated tablets with “12.5/1000” debossed on one side and “322M” debossed on the other side, available in:
NDC 64764-337-60 Bottles of 60 tablets
NDC 64764-337-80 Bottles of 180 tablets
NDC 64764-337-77 Bottles of 500 tablets
Store at 25°C (77°F); excursions permitted to 15° to 30°C (59° to 86°F) [see USP Controlled Room Temperature]. Keep container tightly closed.
Distributed by: Takeda Pharmaceuticals America, Inc., Deerfield, IL 60015. Revised: Aug 2015This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Last reviewed on RxList: 10/12/2015
Additional Kazano Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.