"A study of public pools done during last summer’s swim season found that feces are frequently introduced into pool water by swimmers. Through the study, released today by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), researcher"...
Keflex Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Keflex, Panixine
Generic Name: cephalexin (Pronunciation: sef a LEX in)
- What is cephalexin (Keflex)?
- What are the possible side effects of cephalexin (Keflex)?
- What is the most important information I should know about cephalexin (Keflex)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking cephalexin (Keflex)?
- How should I take cephalexin (Keflex)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Keflex)?
- What happens if I overdose (Keflex)?
- What should I avoid while taking cephalexin (Keflex)?
- What other drugs will affect cephalexin (Keflex)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is cephalexin (Keflex)?
Cephalexin is in a group of drugs called cephalosporin antibiotics. Cephalexin fights bacteria in the body.
Cephalexin is used to treat infections caused by bacteria, including upper respiratory infections, ear infections, skin infections, and urinary tract infections.
Cephalexin may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Cephalexin 250 mg Tab-TEV
oblong, white, imprinted with 22 38, TEVA
Cephalexin 250 mg-IVA
gray/red, imprinted with Z4073
Cephalexin 250 mg-RAN
green/white, imprinted with RX675
Cephalexin 250 mg-TEV
gray/red, imprinted with 93 3145
Cephalexin 500 mg Cap-TEV
red, imprinted with TEVA, 3147
Cephalexin 500 mg Tab-TEV
oblong, white, imprinted with 22 40, TEVA
Cephalexin 500 mg-IVA
red, imprinted with Z4074
Cephalexin 500 mg-RAN
dark green/light green, imprinted with RX657
Cephalexin 500 mg-TEV
red, imprinted with 93 3147
Keflex 750 mg
green, imprinted with Keflex 750 mg
What are the possible side effects of cephalexin (Keflex)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
- seizure (convulsions);
- fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
- pale or yellowed skin, dark colored urine, fever, confusion or weakness;
- easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness;
- confusion, agitation, hallucinations (seeing things that are not there); or
- urinating less than usual or not at all.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild nausea, vomiting, diarrhea;
- dizziness, tired feeling;
- joint pain; or
- vaginal itching or discharge.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Keflex (cephalexin) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects »
What is the most important information I should know about cephalexin (Keflex)?
Do not use this medication if you are allergic to cephalexin, or to similar antibiotics, such as Ceclor, Ceftin, Cefzil, Duricef, Fortaz, Omnicef, Spectracef, Suprax, and others.
Before using cephalexin, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs (especially penicillins), or if you have kidney or liver disease, a stomach or intestinal disorder such as colitis, diabetes, or if you are malnourished.
Take this medication for the entire length of time prescribed by your doctor. Your symptoms may get better before the infection is completely treated. Cephalexin will not treat a viral infection such as the common cold or flu.
Additional Keflex Information
Keflex - User Reviews
Keflex User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.