In this Article
- What is Khat and what are the street names for Khat?
- What does Khat look like?
- How is Khat used?
- What are the health side effects of Khat use?
- Who uses Khat?
- How does Khat get to the United States?
- Who much does Khat cost?
- Find a local Doctor in your town
Who uses Khat?
- The use of Khat is an established cultural tradition for many social situations in the areas of primary cultivation: East Africa and the Arabian Peninsula.
- Several million people may currently be using Khat worldwide.
- The largest concentrations of users are in the regions surrounding the Middle East.
How does Khat get to the United States?
- Khat, while illegal in the United States, is legal in much of Europe, East Africa, and the Arabian Peninsula.
- Individuals of East African and Middle Eastern descent are mot often responsible for the importation, distribution, possession, and use of Khat in the United States.
- Khat is usually shipped already packaged in bundles, and wrapped in plastic bags or banana leaves to retain moisture and freshness.
- Khat is generally smuggled in passenger luggage, overnight express mail, or shipped as air cargo and falsely labeled as "vegetables."
How much does Khat cost?
- Exactly prices are not known, but Khat is a relatively costly drug.
SOURCE: United States Drug Enforcement Administration. Khat.
Last Editorial Review: 12/13/2011 1:46:46 PM
Viewers share their comments
Find out what women really need.