View Table of Contents
- Kidney failure facts
- What are the kidneys?
- What are the kidneys? (Continued)
- What causes kidney failure?
- What causes kidney failure? (Continued)
- What are the symptoms of kidney failure?
- How is kidney failure diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for kidney failure?
- Peritoneal dialysis
- Kidney transplantation
- What is the prognosis for someone with kidney failure?
Medications may be used to help control some of the issues associated with kidney failure.
- Phosphorus-lowering medications (calcium carbonate [Caltrate], calcitriol [Rocaltrol], sevelamer [Renagel])
- Red blood cell production stimulation (erythropoietin, darbepoetin [Aranesp])
- Red blood cell production (iron supplements)
- Blood pressure medications
Once the kidneys fail completely, the treatment options are limited to dialysis or kidney replacement by transplantation.
Reviewed on 7/14/2014