- What other names is L-tryptophan known by?
- What is L-tryptophan?
- How does L-tryptophan work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for L-tryptophan.
Possibly Effective for...
- Treating premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD).
- Smoking cessation (helping people quit smoking).
Possibly Ineffective for...
- Treating teeth grinding.
- Treating facial pain.
- Improving athletic ability.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Depression, anxiety, seasonal affective disorder, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), treating sleep disorders, and other conditions.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips, treatments, & motivation.