"PHILADELPHIA, PA â€” Patients with advanced heart failure did not benefit from taking the glucagonlike peptide 1 (GLP-1) agonist liraglutide (Victoza, Novo Nordisk) in terms of posthospitalization clinical stability in a recent clinical tr"...
Lasix Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Lasix
Generic Name: furosemide (Pronunciation: fur OH se mide)
- What is furosemide (Lasix)?
- What are the possible side effects of furosemide
- What is the most important information I should know about furosemide (Lasix)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking furosemide (Lasix)?
- How should I take furosemide (Lasix)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Lasix)?
- What happens if I overdose (Lasix)?
- What should I avoid while taking furosemide (Lasix)?
- What other drugs will affect furosemide (Lasix)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is furosemide (Lasix)?
Furosemide is a loop diuretic (water pill) that prevents your body from absorbing too much salt, allowing the salt to instead be passed in your urine.
Furosemide treats fluid retention (edema) in people with congestive heart failure, liver disease, or a kidney disorder such as nephrotic syndrome. This medication is also used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension).
Furosemide may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Furosemide 20 mg-GG
round, white, imprinted with GG 21
Furosemide 20 mg-IVA
round, white, imprinted with Logo 2908
Furosemide 20 mg-MYL
round, white, imprinted with M2
Furosemide 20 mg-ROX
round, white, imprinted with 54 840
Furosemide 20 mg-WAT
oval, white, imprinted with 3436, WATSON
Furosemide 40 mg-GG
round, white, imprinted with GG 201
Furosemide 40 mg-IVA
round, white, imprinted with Logo 2907
Furosemide 40 mg-MYL
round, white, imprinted with MYLAN 216, 40
Furosemide 40 mg-ROX
round, white, imprinted with 54 583
Furosemide 40 mg-WAT
round, white, imprinted with WATSON 3437
Furosemide 80 mg-GG
round, white, imprinted with GG 80
Furosemide 80 mg-MYL
round, white, imprinted with MYLAN 232, 80
Furosemide 80 mg-ROX
round, white, imprinted with 54 533
Furosemide 80 mg-WAT
round, white, imprinted with WATSON 3438
Lasix 20 mg
oval, white, imprinted with LASIX (R), HOECHST
Lasix 40 mg
round, white, imprinted with LASIX (R) 40, HOECHST
Lasix 80 mg
round, white, imprinted with LASIX (R) 80, HOECHST
What are the possible side effects of furosemide
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using furosemide and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- ringing in your ears, hearing loss;
- itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting;
- weight loss, body aches, numbness;
- swelling, rapid weight gain, urinating less than usual or not at all;
- chest pain, new or worsening cough with fever, trouble breathing;
- pale skin, bruising, unusual bleeding, feeling light-headed, rapid heart rate, trouble concentrating;
- low potassium (confusion, uneven heart rate, leg discomfort, muscle weakness or limp feeling);
- low calcium (tingly feeling around your mouth, muscle tightness or contraction, overactive reflexes);
- headache, feeling unsteady, weak or shallow breathing; or
- severe skin reaction -- fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
Less serious side effects may include:
- diarrhea, constipation, stomach pain;
- dizziness, spinning sensation; or
- mild itching or rash.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Lasix (furosemide) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about furosemide (Lasix)?
You should not use this medication if you are unable to urinate.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor if you have kidney disease, enlarged prostate, urination problems, cirrhosis or other liver disease, an electrolyte imbalance, high cholesterol, gout, lupus, diabetes, or an allergy to sulfa drugs.
Tell your doctor if you have recently had an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) or any type of scan using a radioactive dye that is injected into your veins.
Do not take more of this medication than is recommended. High doses of furosemide may cause irreversible hearing loss.
If you are being treated for high blood pressure, keep using this medication even if you feel fine. High blood pressure often has no symptoms.
Additional Lasix Information
- Lasix Drug Interactions Center: furosemide oral
- Lasix Side Effects Center
- Lasix Overview including Precautions
- Lasix FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Lasix - User Reviews
Lasix User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.