Leg Sores Symptoms & Signs
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Leg sores can arise from trauma, infection, tumors, or chronic medical conditions. Any process of inflammation or tissue damage can manifest as a sore on the leg. Leg sores may affect primarily the skin or can extend into the subcutaneous tissues, muscles, bone, and deeper structures of the leg. Depending upon the exact cause, they may be associated with
Common causes of leg sores include insect bites and stings, cuts and abrasions, and skin infections.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Longo, D.L., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 18th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2011.
Causes of Leg Sores
In This ArticleBug Bites and Stings Article
- Bug bites and stings facts*
- Bug bites and stings introduction
- What can I do to keep insects away?
- What's the proper way to use insect repellent?
- What's the best way to remove a bee stinger?
- What should I do if I find a tick on me or my child?
- What can be done for itching and pain from bites and stings?
- When is medical attention needed?
- Where can I find more information on bug bites and stings?
In This ArticleBurns (First Aid) Article
- Introduction to burns
- How are burns classified?
- What is the significance of the amount of body area burned?
- How important is the location of a burn?
- What about electrical burns?
- What about chemical burns?
- First aid for burns
In This ArticleContact Dermatitis Article
- Contact dermatitis facts
- What is contact dermatitis?
- What causes contact dermatitis?
- What are risk factors for contact dermatitis?
- What are contact dermatitis symptoms and signs?
- How is contact dermatitis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for contact dermatitis?
- What is the prognosis of contact dermatitis?
- Can contact dermatitis be prevented?
In This ArticleCuts, Scrapes and Puncture Wounds Article
- Cuts, scrapes (abrasions), and puncture wounds facts
- What is the best first aid for a cut or scrape?
- Who should seek medical care for a cut?
- What are the signs and symptoms of a wound infection?
- How are puncture wounds different?
- Will I need a tetanus shot for a cut, scrape, or puncture wound?
In This ArticleDiabetes (Type 1 and Type 2) Article
- Diabetes facts
- What is diabetes?
- How many people in the US have diabetes?
- 6 early signs and symptoms of diabetes
- How do I know if I have diabetes?
- What causes diabetes?
- What are the different types of diabetes?
- Type 1 diabetes
- Type 2 diabetes
- What are the other types of diabetes?
- How is diabetes diagnosed?
- Why is blood sugar checked at home?
- What are the acute complications of diabetes?
- What are the chronic complications of diabetes?
- What can be done to slow the complications of diabetes?
In This ArticleEczema Article
- Eczema facts
- What is eczema?
- Are there different types of eczema? What causes eczema?
- What are eczema symptoms and signs?
- How is eczema diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for eczema?
- What are home remedies for eczema?
- Does diet affect eczema?
- Is there a cure for eczema?
- Is eczema contagious?
- What is the prognosis of eczema?
- Is it possible to prevent eczema?
In This ArticleMelanoma Article
- Melanoma facts
- What is melanoma?
- What does melanoma look like? What are melanoma symptoms and signs?
- What if the skin changes are rapid or dramatic?
- What are the causes and risk factors for melanoma?
- How can people estimate their level of risk for melanoma?
- What are the types of melanoma?
- How is melanoma diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for melanoma?
- How do doctors determine the prognosis (outlook) of a melanoma?
- What methods are available to help prevent melanoma?
- What research is being done on melanoma?
- Where can people get more information about melanoma?
In This ArticlePeripheral Neuropathy Article
- Peripheral neuropathy facts
- What is peripheral neuropathy?
- What causes peripheral neuropathy?
- What are the symptoms of peripheral neuropathy?
- How is peripheral neuropathy diagnosed?
- Is there any treatment for peripheral neuropathy?
- Can peripheral neuropathy be prevented?
In This ArticlePeripheral Vascular Disease Article
- Peripheral vascular disease facts
- What is peripheral vascular disease?
- What is atherosclerosis?
- How does atherosclerosis cause disease?
- What are potential complications of peripheral artery disease?
- What are the other causes of peripheral vascular diseases?
- Who is at risk for peripheral artery disease?
- What are the symptoms and signs of peripheral artery disease?
- How is peripheral artery disease diagnosed?
- What are the treatments for peripheral artery disease?
- Lifestyle changes
- Supervised exercise
- Peripheral vascular disease medications
- Angioplasty for peripheral vascular disease
- Surgery for peripheral vascular disease
In This ArticlePsoriasis Article
- Psoriasis facts
- What is psoriasis?
- What are psoriasis causes and risk factors?
- What are the different types of psoriasis?
- Can psoriasis affect my joints?
- Can psoriasis affect only my nails?
- What are psoriasis symptoms and signs? What does psoriasis look like?
- How do health-care professionals diagnose psoriasis?
- Eczema vs. psoriasis
- How many people have psoriasis?
- Is psoriasis contagious?
- Is there a cure for psoriasis?
- Is psoriasis hereditary?
- What kind of doctor treats psoriasis?
- What is the treatment for psoriasis?
- What creams, lotions, and home remedies are available for psoriasis?
- Are psoriasis shampoos available?
- What oral medications are available for psoriasis?
- What injections or infusions are available for psoriasis?
- Is there a psoriasis diet?
- What about light therapy for psoriasis?
- What is the long-term prognosis with psoriasis? What are complications of psoriasis?
- Is it possible to prevent psoriasis?
- What does the future hold for psoriasis?
- Is there a national psoriasis support group?
- Where can people get more information on psoriasis?
In This ArticleSkin Cancer Article
- What is skin cancer?
- What are the risk factors for skin cancer?
- What causes skin cancer?
- What are the different types of skin cancer?
- What are the signs and symptoms of skin cancer?
- When is a mole dangerous or high-risk for becoming a skin cancer?
- What are the most common sites where skin cancer develops?
- How is skin cancer diagnosed?
- What is the staging for skin cancer?
- What is the treatment for skin cancer?
- What kinds of doctors treat skin cancer?
- What is the prognosis for skin cancer?
- Can skin cancer be prevented?
- Sunscreen use and vitamin D
In This ArticleVaricose Veins Article
- Varicose veins and spider veins facts
- What are veins and what is their function?
- What are varicose veins and spider veins?
- Varicose vein and spider vein pictures
- Who gets varicose and spider veins?
- What causes varicose and spider veins?
- What are varicose vein symptoms?
- How are varicose veins evaluated (diagnosed)?
- What treatments are available for varicose veins and spider veins?
- How can compression stockings help with varicose veins?
- What is sclerotherapy?
- Pictures of sclerotherapy treatment
- What are potential side effects and complications of sclerotherapy?
- What surgical procedures are available to treat varicose veins?
- Can laser be used to treat varicose and spider veins?
- What type of doctors provide treatments for varicose and spider veins?
- What are the side effects of these treatments?
- How can varicose veins be prevented?
In This ArticleVasculitis Article
- Vasculitis facts
- What is vasculitis?
- What causes vasculitis, and what are examples of diseases with vasculitis?
- What are the symptoms of vasculitis?
- How is vasculitis diagnosed?
- How is vasculitis treated?
Other Causes of Leg Sores
- Bacterial Infections
- Benign Tumors
- Fungal Infections
- Lichen Simplex
- Medication Side Effects
- Venous Insufficiency (Stasis)
Examples of Medications for Leg Sores
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find out what women really need.