Leg Swelling Symptoms
Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Leg swelling generally occurs because of an abnormal accumulation of fluid in the tissues of the lower extremity. The medical term for leg swelling from excessive fluid in the tissues is edema. Persisting indentation of a swollen leg after pressure from a finger is known as pitting edema.
Less common causes of leg swelling include diseases that cause thickness of the layers of skin, such as scleroderma and eosinophilic fasciitis. In these diseases, the leg swelling is characterized by non-pitting edema.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Causes of Leg Swelling
In This ArticleBaker Cyst Article
- Baker cyst facts
- What is a Baker cyst?
- What causes a Baker cyst?
- What are symptoms of a Baker cyst?
- How is a Baker cyst diagnosed?
- How is a Baker cyst treated?
In This ArticleCellulitis Article
- Cellulitis facts
- What is cellulitis?
- What are cellulitis symptoms and signs?
- Where does cellulitis occur?
- What does cellulitis look like?
- What are cellulitis risk factors?
- What causes cellulitis?
- Is cellulitis contagious?
- How is cellulitis diagnosed, and what is the treatment for cellulitis?
- Can cellulitis be prevented?
- What is the outlook/prognosis for cellulitis?
In This ArticleCirrhosis (Liver) Article
- What is cirrhosis?
- Why does cirrhosis cause problems?
- What are the signs and symptoms of cirrhosis?
- What are the complications of cirrhosis?
- What are the common causes of cirrhosis?
- How is cirrhosis diagnosed and evaluated?
- How is cirrhosis treated?
- What is new and in the future for cirrhosis?
- Cirrhosis At A Glance
In This ArticleCongestive Heart Failure Article
- Congestive heart failure facts
- What is congestive heart failure?
- What causes congestive heart failure?
- What are the symptoms of congestive heart failure (CHF)?
- How is congestive heart failure diagnosed?
- What is the treatment of congestive heart failure?
- Lifestyle modifications
- Heart transplant
- Other mechanical therapies
- What is the long term outlook for patients with congestive heart failure?
- What are the areas of new research in congestive heart failure?
In This ArticleEosinophilic Fasciitis Article
- What are eosinophils?
- What is fascia?
- What is eosinophilic fasciitis?
- What causes eosinophilic fasciitis?
- What are symptoms and signs of eosinophilic fasciitis?
- How is eosinophilic fasciitis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for eosinophilic fasciitis?
- What is the prognosis of eosinophilic fasciitis?
- Can eosinophilic fasciitis be prevented?
In This ArticleHematoma Article
- What is a hematoma?
- What causes a hematoma?
- What are the types of hematomas?
- What are the symptoms of a hematoma?
- When should I call the doctor about a hematoma?
- How is a hematoma diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for a hematoma?
- What are the complications of a hematoma?
- Can hematomas be prevented?
- Hematoma At A Glance
- Related hematoma article:
Hematoma - on eMedicineHealth
In This ArticleIliotibial Band Syndrome Article
- Iliotibial band syndrome facts
- What is iliotibial band syndrome?
- What causes iliotibial band syndrome?
- What are iliotibial band syndrome symptoms and signs?
- How is iliotibial band syndrome diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for iliotibial band syndrome?
- What stretches and exercises are beneficial for iliotibial band syndrome?
- What exercises should be avoided with iliotibial band syndrome?
- What is the prognosis for iliotibial band syndrome? Can iliotibial band syndrome be prevented?
- Where can people find more information about iliotibial band syndrome?
In This ArticleKidney Failure Article
- Kidney failure facts
- What are the kidneys?
- What causes kidney failure?
- What are the symptoms of kidney failure?
- How is kidney failure diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for kidney failure?
- Peritoneal dialysis
- Kidney transplantation
- What is the prognosis for someone with kidney failure?
In This ArticlePhlebitis Article
- What is phlebitis and thrombophlebitis?
- What causes phlebitis?
- What are the risk factors for phlebitis?
- What are the symptoms of phlebitis?
- How is phlebitis diagnosed?
- How is phlebitis treated?
- What are the complications of phlebitis?
- Can phlebitis be prevented?
- Phlebitis At A Glance
In This ArticlePreeclampsia (Pregnancy Induced Hypertension) Article
- Preeclampsia Facts*
- What Is High Blood Pressure?
- What Are the Effects of High Blood Pressure in Pregnancy?
- What Is Preeclampsia?
- How Common Are High Blood Pressure and Preeclampsia in Pregnancy?
- Who Is More Likely to Develop Preeclampsia?
- What Are the Symptoms of Preeclampsia and How Is It Detected?
- How Can Women with High Blood Pressure Prevent Problems During Pregnancy?
- Does Hypertension or Preeclampsia During Pregnancy Cause Long-Term Heart and Blood Vessel Problems?
In This ArticleScleroderma Article
- Scleroderma facts
- What is scleroderma?
- What causes scleroderma?
- What are risk factors for developing scleroderma?
- How is scleroderma classified?
- What are scleroderma symptoms and signs?
- How is scleroderma diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for scleroderma?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) for patients with scleroderma?
- Can scleroderma be prevented?
Other Causes of Leg Swelling
Examples of Medications for Leg Swelling
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find out what women really need.