"March 8, 2010 (Miami Beach, Fla.) -- Once again, cholesterol-lowering statin drugs have been shown to be good for more than the heart.
Already linked to a reduced risk of rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, and cancer, s"...
Lescol Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Lescol, Lescol XL
Generic Name: fluvastatin (Pronunciation: FLOO va sta tin)
- What is fluvastatin (Lescol)?
- What are the possible side effects of fluvastatin (Lescol)?
- What is the most important information I should know about fluvastatin (Lescol)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking fluvastatin (Lescol)?
- How should I take fluvastatin (Lescol)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Lescol)?
- What happens if I overdose (Lescol)?
- What should I avoid while taking fluvastatin (Lescol)?
- What other drugs will affect fluvastatin (Lescol)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is fluvastatin (Lescol)?
Fluvastatin is in a group of drugs called HMG CoA reductase inhibitors, or "statins." Fluvastatin reduces levels of "bad" cholesterol (low-density lipoprotein, or LDL) and triglycerides in the blood, while increasing levels of "good" cholesterol (high-density lipoprotein, or HDL).
Fluvastatin is used to treat high cholesterol in adults and children who are at least 10 years old. Lowering your cholesterol can help prevent heart disease and hardening of the arteries, conditions that can lead to heart attack, stroke, and vascular disease.
Fluvastatin may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Lescol 20 mg
red/yellow, imprinted with S 20, LESCOL
Lescol 40 mg
red/yellow, imprinted with S 40, LESCOL
Lescol XL 80 mg
round, yellow, imprinted with LESCOL XL, 80
What are the possible side effects of fluvastatin (Lescol)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking fluvastatin and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness;
- fever, unusual tiredness, and dark colored urine;
- pain or burning when you urinate;
- swelling, weight gain, urinating less than usual or not at all; or
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild muscle pain;
- mild nausea;
- stomach pain or indigestion;
- sleep problems (insomnia); or
- cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat.
Read the Lescol (fluvastatin sodium) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about fluvastatin (Lescol)?
You should not take fluvastatin if you are allergic to it, if you are pregnant or breast-feeding, or if you have liver disease.
Before taking fluvastatin, tell your doctor if you have ever had liver or kidney disease, diabetes, or a thyroid disorder, or if you drink more than 2 alcoholic beverages daily.
In rare cases, fluvastatin can cause a condition that results in the breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue, leading to kidney failure. Call your doctor right away if you have unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness especially if you also have fever, unusual tiredness, and dark colored urine.
Avoid eating foods that are high in fat or cholesterol. Fluvastatin will not be as effective in lowering your cholesterol if you do not follow a cholesterol-lowering diet plan.
Avoid drinking alcohol. It can raise triglyceride levels and may increase your risk of liver damage.
There are many other drugs that can increase your risk of serious medical problems if you take them together with fluvastatin. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor. Keep a list of all your medicines and show it to any healthcare provider who treats you.
Fluvastatin is only part of a complete program of treatment that also includes diet, exercise, and weight control. Follow your diet, medication, and exercise routines very closely.
Additional Lescol Information
- Lescol Drug Interactions Center: fluvastatin oral
- Lescol Side Effects Center
- Lescol Overview including Precautions
- Lescol FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Lescol - User Reviews
Lescol User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Tips to keep it under control.