"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Pomalyst (pomalidomide) to treat patients with multiple myeloma whose disease progressed after being treated with other cancer drugs.
Multiple myeloma is a form of blood cancer that p"...
Leukeran Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Leukeran
Generic Name: chlorambucil (Pronunciation: klor AM bue sil)
- What is chlorambucil (Leukeran)?
- What are the possible side effects of chlorambucil (Leukeran)?
- What is the most important information I should know about chlorambucil (Leukeran)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking chlorambucil (Leukeran)?
- How should I take chlorambucil (Leukeran)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Leukeran)?
- What happens if I overdose (Leukeran)?
- What should I avoid while taking chlorambucil (Leukeran)?
- What other drugs will affect chlorambucil (Leukeran)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is chlorambucil (Leukeran)?
Chlorambucil is a cancer medication that interferes with the growth and spread of cancer cells in the body.
Chlorambucil is used to treat several types of cancer, including Hodgkin's disease and certain types of leukemia or lymphoma.
Chlorambucil may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of chlorambucil (Leukeran)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking chlorambucil and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- seizure (convulsions);
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms, sores in your mouth and throat, ongoing cough;
- pale skin, feeling light-headed or short of breath, rapid heart rate, trouble concentrating;
- easy bruising, unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum), purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin;
- fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- an unusual mass or lump;
- chest discomfort, dry cough or hack;
- feeling short of breath on exertion;
- feeling weak or tired, loss of appetite, rapid weight loss;
- severe nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea; or
- missed menstrual periods.
Less serious side effects:
- mild nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea;
- tremors or shaking; or
- numbness, burning, pain, or tingly feeling.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Leukeran (chlorambucil) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about chlorambucil (Leukeran)?
Do not use chlorambucil if you are pregnant. It could harm the unborn baby.
Taking chlorambucil may increase your risk of developing other types of cancer. Chlorambucil may also affect fertility (your ability to have children), whether you are a man or a woman. Ask your doctor about your individual risk.
Chlorambucil can lower blood cells that help your body fight infections. Your blood may need to be tested often. Avoid being near people who are sick or have infections. Avoid activities that may increase your risk of bleeding injury. Tell your doctor at once if you develop signs of infection.
Do not receive a "live" vaccine while you are being treated with chlorambucil, and for at least 3 months after your treatment ends. The vaccine may not work as well during this time, and may not fully protect you from disease.
Stop taking chlorambucil and call your doctor at once if you have a seizure, red or peeling skin rash, severe nausea or stomach pain, jaundice (yellowing of your skin or eyes), fever, chills, sore throat, ongoing cough, flu symptoms, mouth sores, easy bruising or bleeding, or any unusual mass or lump.
Additional Leukeran Information
- Leukeran Drug Interactions Center: chlorambucil oral
- Leukeran Side Effects Center
- Leukeran Overview including Precautions
- Leukeran FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Leukeran - User Reviews
Leukeran User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.