"What is the diabetes medication insulin and how does it work?
Insulin is a hormone that is produced by certain cells in the pancreas called beta cells. Insulin helps the body use blood glucose (a type of sugar) for energy. When we e"...
Levemir Patient Information including If I Miss a Dose
In this Article
- What is insulin detemir (Levemir)?
- What are the possible side effects of insulin detemir (Levemir)?
- What is the most important information I should know about insulin detemir (Levemir)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using insulin detemir (Levemir)?
- How should I use insulin detemir (Levemir)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Levemir)?
- What happens if I overdose (Levemir)?
- What should I avoid while using insulin detemir (Levemir)?
- What other drugs will affect insulin detemir (Levemir)?
- Where can I get more information?
What happens if I miss a dose (Levemir)?
Follow your doctor's directions if you miss a dose of insulin.
It is important to keep insulin detemir on hand at all times. Get your prescription refilled before you run out of medicine completely.
What happens if I overdose (Levemir)?
Seek emergency medical attention if you think you have used too much of this medicine. An insulin overdose can cause life-threatening hypoglycemia.
Symptoms of severe hypoglycemia include extreme weakness, blurred vision, sweating, trouble speaking, tremors, stomach pain, confusion, seizure (convulsions), or coma.
What should I avoid while using insulin detemir (Levemir)?
Avoid drinking alcohol. Your blood sugar may become dangerously low if you drink alcohol while using insulin detemir.
What other drugs will affect insulin detemir (Levemir)?
Using certain medicines can make it harder for you to tell when you have low blood sugar. Tell your doctor if you use any of the following:
- albuterol (Proventil, Ventolin);
- clonidine (Catapres);
- guanethidine (Ismelin); or
- beta-blockers such as atenolol (Tenormin), bisoprolol (Zebeta), labetalol (Normodyne, Trandate), metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol), nadolol (Corgard), propranolol (Inderal, InnoPran), timolol (Blocadren), and others.
Where can I get more information?
Your pharmacist can provide more information about insulin detemir.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 5.02. Revision date: 12/15/2010.
Your use of the content provided in this service indicates that you have read,understood and agree to the End-User License Agreement,which can be accessed by clicking on this link.
Additional Levemir Information
- Levemir Drug Interactions Center: insulin detemir subq
- Levemir Side Effects Center
- Levemir Overview including Precautions
- Levemir FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Levemir - User Reviews
Levemir User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find tips and advances in treatment.