"Researchers at the National Institutes of Health have clarified in rodent and test tube experiments the role that inflammation plays in type 2 diabetes, and revealed a possible molecular target for treating the disease. The researchers say some "...
Levemir Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Levemir, Levemir FlexPen
Generic Name: insulin detemir (Pronunciation: IN su lin DE te mir)
- What is insulin detemir (Levemir)?
- What are the possible side effects of insulin detemir (Levemir)?
- What is the most important information I should know about insulin detemir (Levemir)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using insulin detemir (Levemir)?
- How should I use insulin detemir (Levemir)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Levemir)?
- What happens if I overdose (Levemir)?
- What should I avoid while using insulin detemir (Levemir)?
- What other drugs will affect insulin detemir (Levemir)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is insulin detemir (Levemir)?
Insulin detemir is a man-made form of insulin, a hormone that is produced in the body. It works by lowering levels of glucose (sugar) in the blood. Insulin detemir is a long-acting form of insulin that is slightly different from other forms of insulin that are not man-made.
Insulin detemir is used to treat type 2 diabetes in adults.
Insulin detemir is also used to treat type 1 diabetes in adults and children who are at least 2 years old.
Insulin detemir may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of insulin detemir (Levemir)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of insulin allergy: itching skin rash over the entire body, wheezing, trouble breathing, fast heart rate, sweating, or feeling like you might pass out.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- itching, swelling, or redness where you inject insulin detemir;
- swelling in your hands or feet; or
- low potassium (confusion, uneven heart rate, extreme thirst, increased urination, leg discomfort, muscle weakness or limp feeling).
Less serious side effects may include:
- thickening of the skin where you inject insulin detemir;
- weight gain;
- mild headache, back pain;
- stomach pain; or
- flu symptoms, or cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Levemir (insulin detemir) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about insulin detemir (Levemir)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to insulin detemir, or if you are in a state of diabetic ketoacidosis (call your doctor for treatment with a short-acting insulin).
Many other drugs can potentially interfere with the effects of insulin detemir. It is extremely important that you tell your doctor about all the prescription and over-the-counter medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.
Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) can occur if you skip a meal, exercise too long, drink alcohol, or are under stress. An insulin overdose can cause life-threatening hypoglycemia. Know the signs of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) and how to recognize them: headache, hunger, weakness, sweating, tremors, irritability, or trouble concentrating. Be sure your family and close friends know how to help you in an emergency.
Additional Levemir Information
- Levemir Drug Interactions Center: insulin detemir subq
- Levemir Side Effects Center
- Levemir Overview including Precautions
- Levemir FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Levemir - User Reviews
Levemir User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find tips and advances in treatment.