"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Sivextro (tedizolid phosphate), a new antibacterial drug, to treat adults with skin infections.
Sivextro is approved to treat patients with acute bacterial skin and skin structure infecti"...
Levulan Kerastick Patient Information including If I Miss a Dose
In this Article
- What is aminolevulinic acid (Levulan Kerastick)?
- What are the possible side effects of aminolevulinic acid (Levulan Kerastick)?
- What is the most important information I should know about aminolevulinic acid (Levulan Kerastick)?
- Who should not use aminolevulinic acid (Levulan Kerastick)?
- How should I use aminolevulinic acid (Levulan Kerastick)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Levulan Kerastick)?
- What happens if I overdose (Levulan Kerastick)?
- What should I avoid while using aminolevulinic acid (Levulan Kerastick)?
- What other drugs will affect aminolevulinic acid (Levulan Kerastick)?
- Where can I get more information?
What happens if I miss a dose (Levulan Kerastick)?
If for any reason you cannot return for the blue light treatment during the prescribed period of time after application of the aminolevulinic acid solution, call your doctor. Also, continue to avoid exposure of the treated areas to sunlight or prolonged or intense light for at least 40 hours. If you experience stinging or burning of the treated area(s), reduce your exposure to light.
What happens if I overdose (Levulan Kerastick)?
An overdose of this medication is unlikely to occur. If you do suspect an overdose, or if aminolevulinic acid has been ingested, call an emergency room or poison control center near you. Avoid exposure to intense light sources for at least 40 hours.
What should I avoid while using aminolevulinic acid (Levulan Kerastick)?
After aminolevulinic acid has been applied, wear sunlight-protective clothing such as a wide-brimmed hat or similar head covering. Sunscreens will not protect you. Avoid exposure to sunlight or bright indoor light (examination lamps, operating room lamps, tanning beds, or very close lights). If you experience stinging or burning of the treated skin, reduce your exposure to light. It has not been determined if perspiration can spread aminolevulinic acid outside the treatment site to the eyes or surrounding skin.
What other drugs will affect aminolevulinic acid (Levulan Kerastick)?
Before treatment with aminolevulinic acid, tell your doctor if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- griseofulvin (Fulvicin, Grifulvin, Grisactin, others);
- an oral diabetes medicine such as glimepiride (Amaryl), glipizide (Glucotrol), glyburide (Diabeta, Micronase, Glynase, others), tolbutamide (Orinase), and others;
- a phenothiazine including chlorpromazine (Thorazine), fluphenazine (Prolixin), perphenazine (Trilafon), mesoridazine (Serentil), thioridazine (Mellaril), and others;
- a sulfa drug (sulfonamide) such as sulfamethoxazole (Gantanol, others), sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim (Bactrim, Cotrim, Septra, Septra DS, others), sulfisoxazole (Gantrisin), and others;
- a tetracycline antibiotic such as tetracycline (Sumycin, Achromycin), minocycline (Minocin), doxycycline (Monodox, Doryx, Vibramycin, Vibra-Tabs), and others; or
- a diuretic (water pill) such as hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ, HydroDiuril, Esidrix, Oretic, Microzide, others), chlorthalidone (Hygroton, Thalitone), chlorothiazide (Diuril), indapamide (Lozol), metolazone (Mykrox, Zaroxolyn), and others.
You may not be able to use aminolevulinic acid, or you may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment if you are taking any of the medicines listed above.
Drugs other than those listed here may also interact with aminolevulinic acid. Talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking any prescription or over-the-counter medicines.
Where can I get more information?
Your pharmacist has additional information about aminolevulinic acid written for health professionals that you may read.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2013 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 2.05. Revision date: 12/15/2010.
Your use of the content provided in this service indicates that you have read,understood and agree to the End-User License Agreement,which can be accessed by clicking on this link.
Additional Levulan Kerastick Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.