"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Orbactiv (oritavancin), a new antibacterial drug to treat adults with skin infections.
Orbactiv is approved to treat patients with acute bacterial skin and skin structure infections (ABSS"...
- cannot tolerate other approved therapies, or
- have failed treatment with other approved therapies.
Lindane Shampoo should be used in the context of an overall lice management program that includes:
- Visual inspection to ensure that the patient is currently infested with live lice (empty egg casings or "nits" can remain on hair shaft long after true infestation).
- Manual removal of nits using a comb designed for this purpose and/or individual removal with tweezers followed by close examination of the hair and scalp.
- Evaluation and treatment of sexual contacts simultaneously. Sexual contacts should be prescribed Lindane Shampoo only if they either have failed to respond to adequate doses of other approved therapies or are intolerant of other approved therapies.
- All recently worn clothing, underwear, pajamas, used sheets, pillowcases, and towels should be washed in very hot water or dry-cleaned.
Caregivers applying this product to patients should wear gloves less permeable to Lindane such as nitrile, latex with neoprene or sheer vinyl, and thoroughly clean hands after application. Natural latex gloves should be avoided because they are more permeable to Lindane.
Lindane Shampoo does not prevent infestation or reinfestation and should not be used to ward off a possible infestation.
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
Most patients will require only 1 ounce of Lindane Shampoo. Based on the length and density of hair, some patients may require 2 ounces of Lindane Shampoo.
Apply shampoo directly to dry hair without adding water. Work thoroughly into the hair and allow to remain in place for 4 minutes only. Special attention should be given to the fine hairs along the neck. After 4 minutes, add small quantities of water to hair until a good lather forms. Immediately rinse all lather away. Avoid unnecessary contact of lather with other body surfaces. Do not prescribe more than 2 ounces for larger adults. Do not retreat. (See BOXED WARNINGS.)
A Lindane Shampoo Medication Guide must be given to the patient each time LINDANE Shampoo is dispensed as required by law. The Lindane Shampoo Medication Guide is an important part of the risk management program for the patient.
Lindane Shampoo, USP 1% is supplied in patient-size 2 fl oz (60 mL) bottles. SHAKE WELL BEFORE USING
Store at controlled room temperature, 15 °- 30 °C (59 °-86 °F) [see USP].
Manufactured By: Morton Grove Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Morton Grove, IL 60053. Distributed By: Alliant Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Alpharetta, GA 30004. REV. 06-05. FDA rev date: 10/9/2001
Last reviewed on RxList: 4/22/2008
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Lindane Shampoo Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.