"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Kynamro (mipomersen sodium) injection as an addition to lipid-lowering medications and diet to treat patients with a rare type of high cholesterol called homozygous familial hypercholesterolemi"...
Livalo Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Livalo
Generic Name: pitavastatin (Pronunciation: pit AV a STAT in)
- What is pitavastatin (Livalo)?
- What are the possible side effects of pitavastatin (Livalo)?
- What is the most important information I should know about pitavastatin (Livalo)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking pitavastatin (Livalo)?
- How should I take pitavastatin (Livalo)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Livalo)?
- What happens if I overdose (Livalo)?
- What should I avoid while taking pitavastatin (Livalo)?
- What other drugs will affect pitavastatin (Livalo)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is pitavastatin (Livalo)?
Pitavastatin is in a group of drugs called HMG CoA reductase inhibitors, or "statins." Pitavastatin reduces levels of "bad" cholesterol (low-density lipoprotein, or LDL) and triglycerides in the blood, while increasing levels of "good" cholesterol (high-density lipoprotein, or HDL).
Pitavastatin is used to treat high cholesterol in adults. Lowering your cholesterol may help prevent heart disease and hardening of the arteries, conditions that can lead to heart attack, stroke, and vascular disease.
Pitavastatin may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Livalo 1 mg
round, white, imprinted with KC, 1
Livalo 2 mg
round, white, imprinted with KC, 2
Livalo 4 mg
round, white, imprinted with KC, 4
What are the possible side effects of pitavastatin (Livalo)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking pitavastatin and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness;
- confusion, memory problems;
- fever, unusual tiredness, and dark colored urine;
- increased thirst, increased urination, hunger, dry mouth, fruity breath odor, drowsiness, dry skin, blurred vision, weight loss); or
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild muscle pain;
- back pain, pain in your arms or legs;
- diarrhea, constipation; or
- mild skin rash.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Livalo (pitavastatin) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about pitavastatin (Livalo)?
You should not take pitavastatin if you are allergic to it, if you are pregnant or breast-feeding, or if you have liver disease or severe kidney disease. You should not take pitavastatin if you are also taking cyclosporine (Gengraf, Neoral, Sandimmune) or lopinavir and ritonavir (Kaletra).
Stop taking this medication and tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
Before taking pitavastatin, tell your doctor if you have a thyroid disorder, if you have ever had liver or kidney disease, or if you drink more than 2 alcoholic beverages daily.
In rare cases, pitavastatin can cause a condition that results in the breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue, leading to kidney failure. Call your doctor right away if you have unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness especially if you also have fever, unusual tiredness, and dark colored urine.
Avoid eating foods that are high in fat or cholesterol. Pitavastatin will not be as effective in lowering your cholesterol if you do not follow a cholesterol-lowering diet plan.
Avoid drinking alcohol. It can raise triglyceride levels and may increase your risk of liver damage.
Pitavastatin is only part of a complete program of treatment that also includes diet, exercise, and weight control. Follow your diet, medication, and exercise routines very closely.
Additional Livalo Information
- Livalo Drug Interactions Center: pitavastatin oral
- Livalo Side Effects Center
- Livalo FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Tips to keep it under control.