"Nov. 26, 2012 -- Pediatricians should routinely talk to their teen patients about emergency birth control and write them prescriptions for “morning-after pills” so they can get them quickly if necessary, according to a new policy statement from t"...
Loestrin 24 Fe
Loestrin 24 Fe
Loestrin 24 Fe Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Aranelle, Balziva, Brevicon, Briellyn, Cyclafem 1/35, Cyclafem 7/7/7, Estrostep Fe, Femcon FE, Generess Fe, Gildess FE 1.5/0.03, Gildess FE 1/0.2, Junel 1.5/30, Junel 1/20, Junel Fe 1.5/30, Junel Fe 1/20, Leena, Lo Loestrin Fe, Loestrin 21 1.5/30, Loestrin 21 1/20, Loestrin 24 Fe, Loestrin Fe 1.5/30, Loestrin Fe 1/20, Microgestin 1.5/30, Microgestin 1/20, Microgestin FE 1.5/30, Microgestin FE 1/20, Modicon, Necon 0.5/35, Necon 1/35, Necon 10/11, Necon 7/7/7, Norinyl 1+35, Nortrel 0.5/35, Nortrel 1/35, Nortrel 7/7/7, Ortho-Novum 1/35, Ortho-Novum 7/7/7, Ovcon 35, Ovcon 35 Fe, Ovcon 50, Tilia Fe, Tri-Legest Fe, Tri-Norinyl, Zenchent, Zeosa
Generic Name: ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone (Pronunciation: ETH in il ess tra DYE ole and nor ETH in drone)
- What is ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone (Loestrin 24 Fe)?
- What are the possible side effects of ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone?
- What is the most important information I should know about ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone?
- How should I take ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone?
- What happens if I miss a dose?
- What happens if I overdose?
- What should I avoid while taking ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone?
- What other drugs will affect ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone?
- Where can I get more information?
What is ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone (Loestrin 24 Fe)?
Ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone contains a combination of female hormones that prevent ovulation (the release of an egg from an ovary). This medication also causes changes in your cervical mucus and uterine lining, making it harder for sperm to reach the uterus and harder for a fertilized egg to attach to the uterus.
Ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone are used as contraception to prevent pregnancy. It is also used to treat severe acne.
Ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
round, green, imprinted with WATSON, 631
round, white, imprinted with WATSON, 630
Microgestin FE 1.5-30
round, green, imprinted with WATSON 075
Microgestin FE 1-20
round, white, imprinted with WATSON 632
round, yellow, imprinted with 507, WATSON
round, yellow, imprinted with 508, WATSON
round, green, imprinted with 259, WATSON
round, orange, imprinted with WC, 540
What are the possible side effects of ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using this medication and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body;
- sudden severe headache, confusion, problems with vision, speech, or balance;
- sudden cough, wheezing, rapid breathing, coughing up blood;
- pain, swelling, warmth, or redness in one or both legs;
- chest pain or heavy feeling, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder, nausea, sweating, general ill feeling;
- a change in the pattern or severity of migraine headaches;
- pain in your upper stomach, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- a lump in your breast;
- swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet; or
- symptoms of depression (sleep problems, weakness, mood changes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild nausea or vomiting, appetite or weight changes;
- breast swelling or tenderness;
- headache, nervousness, dizziness;
- problems with contact lenses;
- freckles or darkening of facial skin, loss of scalp hair; or
- vaginal itching or discharge.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Loestrin 24 Fe (norethindrone acetate and ethinyl estradiol) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone?
Do not use birth control pills if you are pregnant or if you have recently had a baby.
Do not use this medication if you have any of the following conditions: a history of stroke or blood clot, circulation problems, a hormone-related cancer such as breast or uterine cancer, abnormal vaginal bleeding, liver disease or liver cancer, or a history of jaundice caused by birth control pills.
You may need to use back-up birth control, such as condoms or a spermicide, when you first start using this medication. Follow your doctor's instructions.
Taking hormones can increase your risk of blood clots, stroke, or heart attack, especially if you smoke and are older than 35.
Some drugs can make birth control pills less effective, which may result in pregnancy. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.
Additional Loestrin 24 Fe Information
Loestrin 24 Fe - User Reviews
Loestrin 24 Fe User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.