WebMD Health News
Nov. 1, 2013 -- The cholesterol-lowering drug Crestor (rosuvastatin) was the nation's most prescribed drug in the past 12 months, according to a new report from research firm IMS Health. New "...
Lopid Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is gemfibrozil (Lopid)?
- What are the possible side effects of gemfibrozil (Lopid)?
- What is the most important information I should know about gemfibrozil (Lopid)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking gemfibrozil (Lopid)?
- How should I take gemfibrozil (Lopid)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Lopid)?
- What happens if I overdose (Lopid)?
- What should I avoid while taking gemfibrozil (Lopid)?
- What other drugs will affect gemfibrozil (Lopid)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking gemfibrozil (Lopid)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to gemfibrozil, if you have:
- liver disease;
- severe kidney disease;
- gallbladder disease; or
- if are also taking repaglinide (Prandin) to treat type 2 diabetes.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether gemfibrozil will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication.
It is not known whether gemfibrozil passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. You should not breast-feed while taking gemfibrozil.
How should I take gemfibrozil (Lopid)?
Take exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
Gemfibrozil is usually taken twice daily, 30 minutes before breakfast and dinner. Follow your doctor's instructions.
Use gemfibrozil regularly to get the most benefit. Get your prescription refilled before you run out of medicine completely.
To be sure this medicine is helping your condition and is not causing harmful effects, your blood will need to be tested often. Your liver and kidney function may also need to be tested. Visit your doctor regularly.
Gemfibrozil is only part of a complete program of treatment that also includes diet, exercise, and weight control. Follow your diet, medication, and exercise routines very closely.
Store at room temperature away from moisture, heat, and light.
Additional Lopid Information
- Lopid Drug Interactions Center: gemfibrozil oral
- Lopid Side Effects Center
- Lopid Overview including Precautions
- Lopid FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Lopid - User Reviews
Lopid User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Tips to keep it under control.