"Nov. 12, 2012 -- The requirement to fast before a cholesterol check can be a major inconvenience.
People who forget to fast may be told to reschedule their appointments. For those who remember, sitting in a doctor's waiting room with "...
Lopid Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Lopid
Generic Name: gemfibrozil (Pronunciation: jem FYE broe zil)
- What is gemfibrozil (Lopid)?
- What are the possible side effects of gemfibrozil (Lopid)?
- What is the most important information I should know about gemfibrozil (Lopid)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking gemfibrozil (Lopid)?
- How should I take gemfibrozil (Lopid)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Lopid)?
- What happens if I overdose (Lopid)?
- What should I avoid while taking gemfibrozil (Lopid)?
- What other drugs will affect gemfibrozil (Lopid)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is gemfibrozil (Lopid)?
Gemfibrozil helps reduce cholesterol and triglycerides (fatty acids) in the blood. High levels of these types of fat in the blood are associated with an increased risk of atherosclerosis (clogged arteries).
Gemfibrozil is used to treat very high cholesterol and triglyceride levels in people with pancreatitis.
Gemfibrozil is also used to lower the risk of stroke, heart attack, or other heart complications in people with high cholesterol and triglycerides who have not been helped by other treatment methods.
Gemfibrozil may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Gemfibrozil 600 mg-APO
oval, white, imprinted with APO 034, 600
Gemfibrozil 600 mg-TEV
oval, white, imprinted with 93 670
Gemfibrozil 600 mg-WAT
oval, orange, imprinted with 454, WATSON
Gemfibrozil 600 mg-WC
elliptical, white, imprinted with WC, 084
Lopid 600 mg
elliptical, white, imprinted with Lopid, P-D 737
What are the possible side effects of gemfibrozil (Lopid)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- sharp pain in your upper stomach (especially after eating);
- jaundice (yellowing of your skin or eyes);
- blurred vision, eye pain, or seeing halos around lights;
- pain or burning when you urinate;
- unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness especially if you also have fever, unusual tiredness, and dark colored urine; or
- pale skin, easy bruising, unusual bleeding, feeling light-headed or short of breath, rapid heart rate, trouble concentrating, purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin.
Less serious side effects may include:
- upset stomach;
- mild stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea;
- headache, dizziness, drowsiness;
- mild joint or muscle pain;
- loss of interest in sex, impotence, difficulty having an orgasm;
- numbness or tingly feeling; or
- cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Lopid (gemfibrozil) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about gemfibrozil (Lopid)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to gemfibrozil, if you are also taking repaglinide (Prandin), or if you have gallbladder disease, liver disease, or severe kidney disease.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as sharp pain in your upper stomach (especially after eating), jaundice (yellowing of your skin or eyes), blurred vision, eye pain, or seeing halos around lights, or pain or burning when you urinate.
Avoid eating foods that are high in fat or cholesterol. Gemfibrozil will not be as effective in lowering your cholesterol if you do not follow a cholesterol-lowering diet plan.
Avoid drinking alcohol. It may interfere with your treatment.
To be sure this medicine is helping your condition and is not causing harmful effects, your blood will need to be tested often. Your liver and kidney function may also need to be tested. Visit your doctor regularly.
Additional Lopid Information
- Lopid Drug Interactions Center: gemfibrozil oral
- Lopid Side Effects Center
- Lopid Overview including Precautions
- Lopid FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Lopid - User Reviews
Lopid User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Tips to keep it under control.